Is there a saviour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
My insurance with Cycleguard has breakdown cover but unfortunately it doesn't cover flat tyres :sad: I have no use in either hands too (typing with feet) so I need to see if I can stick a waterproof mobile phone any where on my Trike that is accessible to me & I'm able to use (if there's waterproof mobile phones available). That cover would be great & so cheap too thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:

ETA will cover you for punctures. I'm covered in case of a breakdown as putting a recumbent trike onto the bus is impossible. About £50/annum for recovery including punctures.

OP
OP
Iain G

Iain G

Über Member
I've emailed the salesman at Draisin who build these bikes/trikes & he's going to have a look for me regarding tyres which should help as Schwalbe is a German company just like Draisin. Thanks for all the advice everyone :thumbsup:

inkd

So its payday again so a few more cycle related bargains. I was looking at getting 2x slime/dr sludge tubes to add to a more puncture resist commute, I have stock tyres (Specialized nimbus flack jacket) inflated to near on max, Question is this - Waste of money or a good idea? :huh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think it's a splendid idea: others may say no way :smile:
BTW Asda in my area are selling the slimed tubes for about a fiver each.

OP
OP
Iain G

Iain G

Über Member
After purchasing a cool pocket sized tyre pressure gauge I found the other 2 tyres were 48 & 46 PSI when all 3 should be 65 PSI maybe my puncture could of been prevented. Either way this is a crucial piece of kit that I'll be using regularly and it looks rather cool
michelin.jpg

inkd

I think it's a splendid idea: others may say no way :smile:
BTW Asda in my area are selling the slimed tubes for about a fiver each.
Well the slime route is not looking likely, I cant find any 700c in a schrader valve and tbh i have priced up a new tube/tyre levers and small pump for £12 so i will do that and put my trust in the flack jackets.

Dirtlover2005

I do a bit of trail riding by motorbike - one of the tips I picked up was to split an inner tube along its inner most point and then place this around a new tube when fitting into the tyre. Maybe you could ask the guys who are doiing the repair to look at this?

OP
OP
Iain G

Iain G

Über Member
I've heard of that before would it still be ok if there is slime inside of the inner tube it would be surrounding?

Dirtlover2005

Yes I would think so. I've not used Slime but would look in your local country store and get the stuff the farmers put in the tractor tyres - it's meant to be good.

OP
OP
Iain G

Iain G

Über Member
I purchased a few bottles of slime last week so when my new inner tube arrives I'll be putting that in all 3 wheels but if I still get a puncture & I had someone to help me would the temporary puncture repair spray/foam still work with this slime gunk in? If it'll work & the temporary foam repair works any suggestion on the best ones? This looks like a bargain-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Spr...O4IY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358160181&sr=8-4
whether these work or not & will still work with slimed inner tubes I don't know

OP
OP
Iain G

Iain G

Über Member
Well I am still waiting for a reply from the sales man in Germany regarding better tyres for my trike & in the mean time suffered another puncture. The tyre liner puncture protectors sound like a good idea but then I've read reviews saying they're good & some saying they cause punctures so I don't know what to think. In the mean time I've bought some 24 inch inner tubes for my 22 inch tyre's to use as liners to add puncture protection. So after slicing them should I cut the extra 2 inch length out & glue the separation to make it circular (with a slight overlap) before slipping the functional inner tube inside it?

2Loose

Guru
When I tried Tyre Liners (mr tuffy) they ended up causing a couple of punctures where they overlapped inside the tyres.
As others have said, Marathon Plus are probably the most puncture resistant tyre on the market but even they are susceptible to the odd puncture (Only 1 in 6K but the evil thorn would have done for a tank track - honest!).

Very cool looking trike :becool:

Top Bottom