Is there a saviour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Iain, I think you could safely overlap the liner if it was covered in gaffer tape and forgo the patches completely. I am pretty sure the couple of punctures that I experienced while using liners were due to the overlap moving and pinching the tyre.
If you do it as you propose, that sounds like it would work well too.

To be fair you are correct. There is a size available which is intended for wheelchairs but it is much narrower than what Iain G already has and the tyre bead is about 5mm bigger in diameter. Without the opinion of an expert I wouldn't like to recommend using this size as I have no idea whether it will seat properly.

The machine is such a fabulous bit of kit that I can't quite fathom why it's been built using such an uncommon size of wheel.:unsure: If the wheels were one standard size bigger or smaller there is loads of tyre choice.

You're right these unusual wheel sizes are proving to be a ball ache for getting different tyres which make her a stand alone unique machine but bloody annoying for this :banghead:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You're right these unusual wheel sizes are proving to be a ball ache for getting different tyres which make her a stand alone unique machine but bloody annoying for this :banghead:
I wish I could suggest an easy solution.

I think the fix that you and 2Loose have discussed is likely to work best for the time being. I hope it goes well.:thumbsup:

Iain, I think you could safely overlap the liner if it was covered in gaffer tape and forgo the patches completely. I am pretty sure the couple of punctures that I experienced while using liners were due to the overlap moving and pinching the tyre.

So far with me not being able to find better puncture proof tyres & given my inability to repair a puncture when I'm out on my own would using a puncture resistant liner with my makeshift inner tube liner as well be too much together? I just want to feel as confident as I can riding on my own as my trike weighs nearly as heavy me & getting a fast rear puncture could prove immovable for me. My 2nd puncture was to my rear tyre which was a slow one fortunately so when I went to move my trike out of the shed the next day it I struggled to move it due to all the weight being positioned towards the back. I have to use a bottle jack to repair a puncture to the rear tyre which makes things hard as there's no real jacking points on the trike. Thanks for the advice & kind words guys :thumbsup:

I've taken the tyre & inner tube off my trike but I've ran out of gaffer tape so I'll have to get some in the morning but after seeing the inner tube I'm using as a liner inside my tyre it did get me thinking of double protection. I've cut off the 2 inch excess off could I just taped the inner tube (liner) inside the tyre without splitting it meaning it's double the thickness & double the protection or would it be too much of a lip between the tyre/liner & come into conflict with the functioning inflated inner tube?

I've spotted this that sounds good although it would be over £30 for me to buy 3 for my trikehttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/panaracer-flataway-tyre-liner/
My tyre size is 22x15/8 & this liner comes as either 700c or MTB size which size should I buy the 700c?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've spotted this that sounds good although it would be over £30 for me to buy 3 for my trikehttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/panaracer-flataway-tyre-liner/
My tyre size is 22x15/8 & this liner comes as either 700c or MTB size which size should I buy the 700c?
That looks like an interesting product. I'm not sure which size is going to be best but as your tyres are relatively wide (44mm), I'd suggest the MTB option might be the one to go for. Whichever you choose will need trimming down to length.

Wiggle have customer service contacts on their site. I think it would be worth getting in touch with them and asking some questions before spending any money.:thumbsup:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I will do I just need to understand how to work out tyre sizes/widths from the numbers as you can tell
I'm a novice. I understand the 22 stands for 22" diameter but not the other numbers sorry if i sound thick I need to understand the 15/8 part ?
It's the tyre width in imperial measure - 1 inch and 5 eighths.

For bike tyre sizes I prefer the ETRTO measurement (you quoted it earlier as 44-484 on your trike) as this simply shows the width (44mm) and the size of rim it fits (484mm diameter) making it easy to be sure you've got the right size, unlike the older measures where there can be multiple versions of each size which aren't necessarily compatible.

Wow, just caught up with this thread. I think Stan's in the tubes is the answer until a set of puncture proof tyres can be sourced in that size. Im not a fan of liners - whether polyeurethane or aramid - due to their habit of abrading the inner tube. And adding another layer of inner tube as a protective barrier doesnt stop punctures, it merely delays them.

If tyre availability proves to be an ongoing problem theres always the option of rebuilding the wheels with a more common rim/tyre standard.

It's the tyre width in imperial measure - 1 inch and 5 eighths.

For bike tyre sizes I prefer the ETRTO measurement (you quoted it earlier as 44-484 on your trike) as this simply shows the width (44mm) and the size of rim it fits (484mm diameter) making it easy to be sure you've got the right size, unlike the older measures where there can be multiple versions of each size which aren't necessarily compatible.
Thanks for explaining that it really helps :thumbsup:

Wow, just caught up with this thread. I think Stan's in the tubes is the answer until a set of puncture proof tyres can be sourced in that size. Im not a fan of liners - whether polyeurethane or aramid - due to their habit of abrading the inner tube. And adding another layer of inner tube as a protective barrier doesnt stop punctures, it merely delays them.

If tyre availability proves to be an ongoing problem theres always the option of rebuilding the wheels with a more common rim/tyre standard.
Stan's in the tubes is that tubeless tyres? Do they do them for my wheel size? I've spent around £8500+ on this trike with the motor on the front wheel costing £3000 this is getting more expensive than I may afford :sad:Why couldn't my wheels be a conventional 24" or something :banghead:

Top Bottom