Is there an auto-electrician in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Last thing you want to do is wear out the OBD2 socket, they are only designed for occasional use.

As you say fit as switch or unplug at the other end..

CXRAndy

Guru
Its not really going to do so much unless in a sunny country.

Mains powered battery maintenance devices like Ctek, Optimate are a better solution. They come with circuitry that tests the battery, by draining and recharging, keep the battery above 13V which reduces chance of sulphation. They can also recover some badly drained batteries.

And they dont cost much more than what you've bought

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Automatic-Maintainer-maintainence-motorcycle/dp/B004RADNCQ/ref=asc_df_B004RADNCQ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218093857332&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6721337752070189732&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046219&hvtargid=pla-358887373827&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Its not really going to do so much unless in a sunny country.

Mains powered battery maintenance devices like Ctek, Optimate are a better solution. They come with circuitry that tests the battery, by draining and recharging, keep the battery above 13V which reduces chance of sulphation. They can also recover some badly drained batteries.

And they dont cost much more than what you've bought

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Automatic-Maintainer-maintainence-motorcycle/dp/B004RADNCQ/ref=asc_df_B004RADNCQ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218093857332&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6721337752070189732&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046219&hvtargid=pla-358887373827&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Yeah, but you have to plug it in. :blush:

CXRAndy

Guru
I was in the same boat, except it was a car park, mine worked, but it was higher wattage
and you don't need sun you need day light
How efficient is the solar panel when behind the glass? The glass does have an impact on performance

I presume inside the vehicle, so no scrote nicks it.

I'd be interested to see charging current over different lighting conditions, bright sun. cloudy, and very overcast

numbnuts

Legendary Member
How efficient is the solar panel when behind the glass? The glass does have an impact on performance

I presume inside the vehicle, so no scrote nicks it.

I'd be interested to see charging current over different lighting conditions, bright sun. cloudy, and very overcast

No data available, but using one in cold winters and also lockdowns, the battery never went flat while using solar charger.
A solar charger will not charge a flat battery – fact ,but it will maintain a good one at the level it was left at.

Top Bottom