Is there an electrician in da house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ghitchen

Hi BTFB,

The solar thing outputs 5.5V @ 0.5A, your TV charger outputs 5V @1.44A. The solar thing will work but will take about three times as long to charge the battery in the TV. You will need to ensure that the polarity of the charging plug is correct. Unless it is written on the TV socket and the charging plug somewhere then you will need to check with a voltmeter.

Cheers,

Gary

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Thanks Gary that is most helpful.

On my adaptor that came with the Tv it has a symbol which I cannot type here so i will describe it. It is a picture of the socket (a black circle inside another clear circle), to the left of this as I look at it is -ve sign inside a circle, to the right is a+ve sign inside a circle. On the TV itself the same symbol is under the DC5v input socket.

I see the same symbol under the DC4.7v input on my camera.

Can you tell from this info if the polarity is workable?

Mucho Ta.

i second both the above replies, should work fine, but will take ages to charge.

when using electrical appliances, it is more important to get the voltage/polarity correct than the current rating, as if the current is too low, it just takes ages, and if its too high it charges quicker, if running normal appliances instead of charging, the appliance will only take the current needed anyway (and if too low then it wont power on)..

but remember that if this is solar panel then the ratings will probably be in full direct sunlight, so will often in use be lower (cause we dont get that much sun)

Top Bottom