Is There Any Difference Health-wise Between What You Ride or How Far You Ride ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Another bit of nostalgia, if you only had a heavy cheap bike to train on, because that was all you could afford, when you borrowed a proper lightweight racing bike for local races you were much faster.

You still used all of your energy, but you could cover the distance faster on a light weight racing bike.

All that is really saying is that if you train on a cheap bike your training speed will be lower, there's not some magical effect that means you'll be faster than you otherwise would have been on race day.

Fredo76

Über Member
Training on heavier stuff sure made the racing wheels feel lively and responsive, and the rider, too. :smile:

Fat Lars

Always wear bespoke clothing which will wicker away sweat from the skin; keep you warm, dry and comfortable. Everything else is relative. When out training in the winter months, I made sure that my cycling equipment was as robust as necessary to give me the best chance of making it home without having to stop for a mechanical or a puncture. Aesthetics and speed sacrificed for reliability. Not bothered about HR or power just riding, building a base for later on just enjoying the scenery. You can do this just as easily on one bike as another.

normgow

Guru
When out training in the winter months, I made sure that my cycling equipment was as robust as necessary to give me the best chance of making it home without having to stop for a mechanical or a puncture.
This is very true. Heavier tyres, not for any extra resistance they give, but for reliabilty. In the winter, unless training for the cyclo-cross or a six-day race, what's important is not how many kms/miles you travel but how often your legs turn so nice easy gear ratios are best.
When leaving home it's best to feel cold for the first ten minutes or so as you'll soon warm up without overheating. Leaving home feeling cosy from the start means you've got too much on and will soon start sweating.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
This is very true. Heavier tyres, not for any extra resistance they give, but for reliabilty. In the winter, unless training for the cyclo-cross or a six-day race, what's important is not how many kms/miles you travel but how often your legs turn so nice easy gear ratios are best.
When leaving home it's best to feel cold for the first ten minutes or so as you'll soon warm up without overheating. Leaving home feeling cosy from the start means you've got too much on and will soon start sweating.
Unless it gets cold half way round . A ride a few weeks ago I thought I was a bit overdressed as I set off. Halfway round the weather turned and it became really cold . By the time I was about a mile from home I felt as though I was about to nod off.

mpemburn

Dunno. My roots are in road racing, and I like the way that bikes and clothing have evolved since my early days—40+ years ago. I ride a carbon bike, but spent as little as I could to build it up over time. Lycra is just more comfortable on the old bod, so that what I wear. Glad that the helmets are better than the “leather hairnets” that were the norm in the ‘70s.

I go as fast as I go, and you are welcome to go as fast as you go, too.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hence "Winter miles = Summer smiles"

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The main thing is that you enjoy the ride .

We all do it for different reasons, mine is to enjoy the ride and ever changing scenery and listen to the noise's that you hear .

Whether you ride steel , alloy or plastic it's still a bike . Whether you ride in jeans or lycra you are still a cyclist.

It doesn't matter if you spent £50 or a lot more either should be able to provide the experience.

So stop worrying about it and enjoy the ride.

I think health and fitness will improve the more you do no matter what speed .

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Is that due to the wheels spinning on the ice ? :whistle:

Ha ha, no I think it’s a combination of things.

In winter with the colder weather, less sun, long dark nights it can be hard to motivate yourself to get out and ride. When you do get out you need the extra layers, the warm gloves, warm hat. The air is colder and denser. You might need to carry a flask of hot chocolate if cafes aren’t open. The roads are greasy. Everything is just that bit harder. As the seasons turn everything just seems easier, motivation is better, and you have a good base fitness to launch into the warmer months. If you’ve ridden through winter the challenges of spring and summer are so much easier.

Top Bottom