Is There Any Difference Health-wise Between What You Ride or How Far You Ride ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What I am wondering is that with all their advantages will they have to ride further and faster in order to expend the same amount of energy ?
What I do find is that when it comes to climbing small hills I tend to catch them up ! :smile:

If they're in full kit then they will be more aero than someone in a jacket and jeans. I would be amazed to be passed by someone wearing jeans though.

When I'm out for a ride I will be in my cycling kit - it's more aero and efficient and comfortable for long rides. If I'm just nipping to the shops or something jeans works fine.

I'd not want to be wearing jeans and doing a 4 hour ride. Huge chafing possibilities.

You do your thing - and they can do theirs.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I wear jeans as I find them comfortable plus if I was to fall off they offer some protection against gravel rash . I may get an abrasion but it should keep a lot of muck out .

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Not sure what trick you're too old to fall for.

What I tend to find is when I'm all dressed up in lycra and riding a carbon fibre aerodynamic cycle I will be putting more effort in/power into the pedals, because it feels great, so getting more of a workout, generally averaging about 16-19mph depending on climbs. If I was on an old bike and wearing jeans I would be much less comfortable and would get sweatier much more quickly so likely wouldn't want to ride as quickly or nearly as far, or probably as often, so wouldn't be as healthy.
What! You've never been overtaken by a cyclist who suddenly appeared from nowhere and then disappears ? :whistle:

I’d dispute that “watts is watts”

It matters how they are produced. If you are working at 90% of your max HR to produce those watts, it will have a markedly different impact on you than if you can produce the same watts at say 65% of your max HR. The metabolic impact is vastly different.
The variable was the bike/kit. Watts at 90%hr are the same whatever kit you use but your speed will vary.

My guess is no. The final test is your medical that shows how fit and healthy you are.

Good diet, decent regular exercise without overexerting yourself or the overuse of your joints, tendons etc goes a long way. Endurance training helps up to an extent where stamina, lung capacity and heart conditioning does help when you are young and the body can take it.

My guess is most people do the things they do and the things they do it with as they enjoy it. Mentally that must help.

I am just glad that I found cycling early, relatively low in impact and I enjoy tinkering with the bikes. A hobby that helps with fitness.

alex_cycles

Veteran
What I am wondering is that with all their advantages will they have to ride further and faster in order to expend the same amount of energy ?

Assuming that they weigh the same as you, absolutely YES. The aero clothing and bikes are all about efficiency, which by definition means using less energy to cut through the air, which can be spent either on going further or faster, depending on desired outcome. The other thing about cycling shorts/tights etc. is the pad. If you want to ride comfortably for longer than an hour or two, padded shorts/tights make a huge difference.

What I do find is that when it comes to climbing small hills I tend to catch them up ! :smile:

If you were going to catch them, that would be where I'd expect you to, since at the lower speed of an ascent, their aerodynamic advantage is greatly diminished (and they may have pushed themselves "to get past the person in jeans"). I've had quite a lot of fun playing cat and mouse with people on ebikes. They do tend to catch up on the uphills, but if you can maintain >15.5mph they have a huge disadvantage. :laugh:

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I may have phrased it wrong . I was just curious . At the moment for my unfitness level I am quite happy with the amount of cycling I'm doing . If I do too much I can spend a day or so with the fairies . I may try to extend it a bit next year .
I was just wondering . If a person has reached a certain level of fitness , speed , distance and then upgrades all of his equipment then I would expect an improvement in their performance . This would come at a cost . Could their fitness be improved by down grading to a heavier bike with less aerodynamics which would need more effort from them and less miles but at a reduced cost ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Health benefits or cycling performance benefits? You seem to be getting them mixed up. People going faster than you are - as a general rule - people who are fitter than you - regardless of their gear (unless it's an ebike ;) ). But how does that fitness translate into long term health benefits? That's a much more complex issue. And I suspect it's very unlikely to be clothing related.

Just chill, ride your bike, and don't worry about what other people wear or ride or how fast they are or how much they eat.

Top Bottom