Is there any point in building your own cheap wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, I have heard worrying things about Sputniks disappearing, at least in 26inch size, though Spa still sell the rims.
What is this new name/branding you speak of?
As I see it they don't need updating - what has changed with the updated versions under whatever name you mention?
Unfortunately with today's bike market, updated/improved/refined very very often means compromised/farked up for idiot purchasers.
Ryde/rigid
I will try and check both my bikes tomorrow and see what they have on them. Alas i am going on holiday tomorrow and leave very early.

where did you get your sputnik wheels?
(I have 3 pairs I think - one Spa, one Hewitt, another bought off a forum <not this> member who had built them themselves. )
How does the Andra 30 compare to the Sputnik?

Hope my wheels last as long as yours - I am pretty careful about cleaning rims and blocks.
They came on my Santos travelmasters. And on a Thorn tourer which I recently sold

When you build your own wheels you do it with care and there’s no rush.

Think my 27inch x 1/4 wheels took me about a month to build, I was generally drunk while doing it having first been to the chippy and had an ale (Spitfire from Shepherd Neame was the favorite at the time) and then onto the second ale while building (and watching stand up comedy)

Still straight over 10 years later, had them checked a few times but no issues :biggrin:

where did you get your sputnik wheels?
(I have 3 pairs I think - one Spa, one Hewitt, another bought off a forum <not this> member who had built them themselves. )
How does the Andra 30 compare to the Sputnik?

Hope my wheels last as long as yours - I am pretty careful about cleaning rims and blocks.
I never clean rims or pads to lazy.

Try it, maybe i'm sad but i find it quite therapeutic, so discs are never going to claim me. You really should clean/inspect the pads at least - likely to be all sorts of rim damaging stuff embedded.
I have no intentions of doing so on my sputniks BUT I do have an electric bike and that's has bog standard aluminium rims, they definitely pick up crap. During the summer I am mainly collecting firewood off-road. I need to keep an eye on them as the rims look like they are taking a bit of a beating.
May just replace pads and clean the ones that were on at my leisure!!

Yes, I have heard worrying things about Sputniks disappearing, at least in 26inch size, though Spa still sell the rims.
What is this new name/branding you speak of?
As I see it they don't need updating - what has changed with the updated versions under whatever name you mention?
Unfortunately with today's bike market, updated/improved/refined very very often means compromised/farked up for idiot purchasers.
Cheeky price but you maybe interested. Bits missing. Wait till he offers a buy it now at a more realistic price or make an offer.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rohloff-...3da9deaafb:g:91MAAOSw2TFfFiHH&redirect=mobile

I have no intentions of doing so on my sputniks BUT I do have an electric bike and that's has bog standard aluminium rims, they definitely pick up crap. During the summer I am mainly collecting firewood off-road. I need to keep an eye on them as the rims look like they are taking a bit of a beating.
May just replace pads and clean the ones that were on at my leisure!!
Each to their own but find your approach odd. Takes no time to clean pads on the bike, no idea why you would take them off/out of the holders - far far more time and bother.

Top Bottom