• Not a close pass

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Chain's slack / other

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Cam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't tell from that

• What numpty put ' next to Enter anyway?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Our local police do Operation Snap (bike/dashcam reporting) and have run Operation Close Pass (unmarked police bikes spotting-and-catching bad overtakes) a few times. I got a close pass on camera today but my road positioning wasn't great (I flinched and moved left because I heard them coming). What do you think - report or not?

I think it was too close and also stupid place to overtake (http://osm.org/go/0ER1zhcnw-?layers=C&m the narrow bit of Chapel Lane West Winch heading east approaching the two T junctions) but I've had far worse. Camera was mounted on top of the stem, so centre of the bike, in case it matters. What's your opinion of the sample pic? Shall I stop off on my way to tonight's BUG and measure the road repair shown? (I'm not posting the video because the local police ask you to report it to them first - I don't think this still with no identifying marks will prejudice things.)

shot0010.jpg

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

I meant to tag bikecam reporters like @Arjimlad (and who else?) but I forgot.

NickNick

Its definitely a close pass, not quite the near death close pass that some drivers inflict on us, but close none the less. With regards to reporting, I wouldn't, but then I instinctively lean towards not involving police in matters.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It is not possible to see if a car is coming the other way. But it gets somewhat frustrating when drivers pull in across your path far too early. They would not do that if overtaking a car for fear of clipping the other car. Don't do it to us, make sure to leave plenty of space before pulling back in.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
If you can do a screengrab from when the car first appears in the film it'll be easier to see how close it is, I think ?

See below, sometimes these shots give a better idea maybe.

I'd say from that that he's about 1.5m from the kerb so not an ideal pass by any means but not the worst either...if you felt it was too close by all means report it. Was it in A&S ?

You can upload footage at https://forms.avonandsomerset.police.uk/forms/dcu
and report it there.

WR08 BTO.jpg

NickNick

If you can do a screengrab from when the car first appears in the film it'll be easier to see how close it is, I think ?

See below, sometimes these shots give a better idea maybe.

I'd say from that that he's about 1.5m from the kerb so not an ideal pass by any means but not the worst either...if you felt it was too close by all means report it. Was it in A&S ?

You can upload footage at https://forms.avonandsomerset.police.uk/forms/dcu
and report it there.

View attachment 387257

I like how your camera catches your hood & GPS, gives a better perspective of the proximity of the vehicle compared to cams that don't catch any of the bike.

Can you add an option "I can't tell from that photo"?

You don't really have to, but I can't tell from that photo.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

This is the 1st frame the bottom of their wheel is in. I think they held pretty much a straight line as they came past and from this frame to the earlier sample.
shot0011.jpg

Nope, I'm over in Norfolk at the moment.

I like how your camera catches your hood & GPS, gives a better perspective of the proximity of the vehicle compared to cams that don't catch any of the bike.
It's a bit difficult to do achieve on anything other than drop bars, isn't it? The camera has to be fairly near to the stem, else it sways around with the steering too much, and pointing forwards because pointing slightly sideways gives a really strange/sickening viewing experience, but North Roads don't sweep forwards far enough to appear in the shot, porter and flat bars don't sweep forwards at all. This morning I was on a borrowed MTB with flat bars.

Last edited:

NickNick

Yep, its quite hard to tell for sure without actually seeing an element of the bike in the picture imo. I used the box of repaired tarmac, assuming mjr is roughly in the middle of it and compared that to the proximity of the wheel to try and gauge the closeness, but could be quite a variance depending on how close/far from curb they are.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

It is not possible to see if a car is coming the other way. But it gets somewhat frustrating when drivers pull in across your path far too early.
No car was coming the other way, but they were approaching a quiet blind junction where a road joins from the right. It was roughly at https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.719145,0.412375,81.54h,-2.38p,2.63z

Done, along with a mistake.

NickNick

It's a bit difficult to do achieve on anything other than drop bars, isn't it? The camera has to be fairly near to the stem, else it sways around with the steering too much, and pointing forwards because pointing slightly sideways gives a really strange/sickening viewing experience, but North Roads don't sweep forwards far enough to appear in the shot, porter and flat bars don't sweep forwards at all. This morning I was on a borrowed MTB with flat bars.

Good point, I'm in drop bar centric mode...

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Yep, its quite hard to tell for sure without actually seeing an element of the bike in the picture imo. I used the box of repaired tarmac, assuming mjr is roughly in the middle of it and compared that to the proximity of the wheel to try and gauge the closeness, but could be quite a variance depending on how close/far from curb they are.
I'll measure the road repair on my way out tonight. I felt I was approximately in the middle of it. I'll also measure the handlebar width as I've no idea about that bike.

Top Bottom