• Not a close pass

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Chain's slack / other

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Cam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't tell from that

• What numpty put ' next to Enter anyway?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickNick

I guess a related question would be: how close (in metres) would a 30mph zone pass need to be for you to think it's worth reporting?

It would have to be under 0.5m from edge of the bars imo for it to be dangerous enough to be worth reporting. Above that I would view as inconsiderate and with the potential to be dangerous (e.g. if done with low visibility) but not dangerous as such, if that makes sense.

Reactions: mjr
D

Deleted member 1258

Its a bit tight but not too bad, I've experienced worse.

D

Deleted member 1258

As have I, but how bad is "too bad"? I think Norfolk Constabulary haven't said how close they want to know about, but used 1.5m for their Operation Close Pass. Have any police said how close pass they want to be told about?

Back before I retired, when i was working, the bus driver who tried to get between me and an oncoming car as I was passing a parked car, forced the oncoming car to swerve left and stop and forced me up against the parked car, that one was reported to the bus company who informed me the driver had been talked to. That one was a bad one.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
IMG_20171214_184528810.jpg
IMG_20171214_184514698.jpg
My camera's on an "out front" mount inverted - so it sits behind the bars - whilst the Garmin is on an out-front mount out the front. Thus..

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Only my view but if you felt it was dangerous then perhaps worth reporting even if the police only had an informal word with the driver then it may save someone in the future, if you feel the pass was close but you where in no danger then perhaps forget about it .

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll measure the road repair on my way out tonight. I felt I was approximately in the middle of it. I'll also measure the handlebar width as I've no idea about that bike.
The road repair in the OP is 1.2m wide. The one in the earlier frame is 1.5m mainly because the kerb bends away from the narrowing. The bike handlebars are 0.6m which I think is pretty common for an MTB. So if I generously IMO estimate the car was 0.2m wide of the road repair and I was central on the repair, it passed about 1m away from the stem (compared to 1.5m used in OpClosePass mats) or 0.7m from my right hand.

That in my opinion is not a close pass more inconsiderate driving that is not 1.5m away but not close.

A close pass to me is one that makes you wobble as you get caught in their turbulence or you have to divert off your line.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

That in my opinion is not a close pass more inconsiderate driving that is not 1.5m away but not close.

A close pass to me is one that makes you wobble as you get caught in their turbulence or you have to divert off your line.
Then I think you let motorists get away with far too much and I'm very happy that most police don't seem to agree with you!

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Just to round it off. I attempted to report it and failed due to a problem with the video file, then Christmas happened so I didn't fix it in time, but it's a learning experience so I should succeed next time I'm that unlucky (which will probably be in nearly a year, based on how rarely I suffer passes that bad).

classic33

Leg End Member

If I can touch the roof of the vehicle, I consider it a close pass. There's many, some at speed, that have been closer than that. I've not had to stretch the arm out to touch.

Some of the same drivers pass just as close to any other vehicle.

Top Bottom