Is this a cup and cone hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Noticed a fair amount of lateral movement on my rear wheel, took it off to find the axle moving, found a round nut on each end with opposite sides of the nut straightened off for a spanner to grip it; tightened them both up, now no lateral movement in the wheel.

Is it likely to last or does it need a more in-depth service?

I'm not entirely sure what type of hub it is, I'm assuming cup and cone but can't be sure. Photos of either side of the hub:

I think it's a Formula RB32 hub, apparently Formula don't have a great reputation. On what was meant to be a £1k RRP bike, the hub and FSA cranks have both gone to pot, and the Promax brakes seem to be legendary in their naffness...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like it might be, under all that dirt. :laugh:

Slick

Guru
Check out YouTube for videos on how to replace the bearings, quite a simple procedure. You can over tighten them, but you would probably already realised by now if you did.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I'd had a look at a couple - the reason I was confused is I was expecting a cone and a lock nut on each side, i.e. two spanners per side turned in opposite directions. But all i found was one nut on each side, which when I tightened them both up at the same time seemed to remove the lateral movement but still let the wheel spin freely. Or would I need to remove the cassette and the black rubber cover to get access to everything, and all I've actually done is tighten the two lock nuts?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Formula hubs are usually cartridge type (the track hubs are; System EX and sone others are identical).

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
It looks to me like there is a rubber dust cover/gasket on both sides. You need to remove these rubber covers (you will need to remove the wheel first). Under there you I guess you will see the lock nut, a thin spacer, and then the cone nut. Using a cone spanner and an adjustable spanner you can get to the bearings by undoing the lock nut against the cone.

I tend to just adjust one side and leave the other side. This make it easier to put everything back together.

This video may help.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNzN9oTQA8s

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
I Iend to just adjust one side and leave the other side. This make it easier to put everything back together.
Top tip.
Took me ages to figure out that that was the way to do it.
Was driving myself nuts before.

When putting the thing back together, the way to get the adjustment right is to have the hub ever so slightly loose, with the looseness then disappearing when the wheel is tightened in the forks.
Too tight and too loose will both prematurely wear the bearings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Formula hubs are usually cartridge type (the track hubs are; System EX and sone others are identical).

It was cup and cone - I had recently changed the cassette and must have accidentally loosened the locking nut. Tightened it back up without touching the cone (or cup?) and all back to normal.

Top Bottom