Is this a recipe for disaster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
After many years of running my rear brake on the right of my bars, I have changed to running it on the left, I did this because I couldn't get a neat cable routing with the latest bike I have built with it on the right, so I changed my other two bikes to match, at the moment I am very conscious of the change so am careful when braking.

Has anybody else changed their brake set up ? did it cause problems ? which side do you run your brakes and why ? I understand that us Brits should have the rear on the left so we can brake while signaling to turn right, what about when your signaling to turn left ?

Davidc

Guru
We have our brakes the other way round from everyone else. I've hired and borrowed bikes when abroad and it takes a short while to get used to it. If you've changed all your bikes over then once you're used to it the only problem is surely when you borrow or hire another bike?

yello

I have both Brit and European assembled bikes and I very quickly adapt to the difference. In fact, I couldn't actually tell you which is which way around (as I sit here now) because I just naturally do it by feel/feedback when I ride.

So, no, it's not a recipe for disaster to swap them around.

sabian92

Über Member
I always thought it was a universal thing worldwide all bikes the same!!:scratch:

I think it's down to what side of the road a country drives on. The majority is front brake on the left, rear on the right. We're the freaks, apparently...

We are the freaks, and it is due to the side of the road we drive on.

We can generally make a left turn safely, without indicating as we do't cross other cars traffic. This means we can keep both hands on the bar and use both brakes if we need to kill some speed - especially important downhill.

However, it can be very dangerous to turn right without indicating to traffic behind you that you are about to pull across in front of them. This means on a downhill/fast right turn, you'll often be in a position where you need to signal with your right hand, and brake at the same time. Having your left hand available for this allows you to scrub speed with the rear wheel, preventing the problem of braking with the front only and going over the handlebars if you overdo it.

That's the theory as I understand it anyway. Yes, of course it's possible to do it safely the other way round, and preferably you plan ahead so it's a lot more controlled, but hey!

Top Bottom