Is this a Schwinn LeTour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blkgoose92

I'm trying to find out as much information about the bicycle in the photo below. It was taken in the late 70's, early 80's on an Air Force base.

With my magnifying glass, I was able to make out the words LE TOUR (or so I think), and I've done some research to know it could be a 1977 LeTour II.

But I can't quite find any photos online of this exact bike. Could this be a personal bike? Military issue?

I know it's not much to work with! But if anyone has seen a bike similar to this or could help me better pinpoint what it is! That would be so helpful. I would literally like to know anything and everything about this bike. Every little known fact you have. The man on the bike is my father and I would like to purchase one in memory of him. I've been cycling for years (Mountain Bike - I know nothing about Road Bikes) and never knew my father was a cyclist, because he passed away so long ago. Recently found a bunch of photos he had stored away, and found him and his friends on many road bike adventures.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Peace & Love

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 11.28.13 AM.png

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm trying to find out as much information about the bicycle in the photo below. It was taken in the late 70's, early 80's on an Air Force base.

With my magnifying glass, I was able to make out the words LE TOUR (or so I think), and I've done some research to know it could be a 1977 LeTour II.

But I can't quite find any photos online of this exact bike. Could this be a personal bike? Military issue?

I know it's not much to work with! But if anyone has seen a bike similar to this or could help me better pinpoint what it is! That would be so helpful. I would literally like to know anything and everything about this bike. Every little known fact you have. The man on the bike is my father and I would like to purchase one in memory of him. I've been cycling for years (Mountain Bike - I know nothing about Road Bikes) and never knew my father was a cyclist, because he passed away so long ago. Recently found a bunch of photos he had stored away, and found him and his friends on many road bike adventures.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Peace & Love

View attachment 564589
Any idea which country it was taken in ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Are you in the US or UK? If the former you might know Schwinn is the equivalent to Raleigh in the UK in terms of popularity and familiarity.
I myself have a Schwinn, a bit later than the one in your picture but looks a similar colour.
Not too familiar with other models so don't know the Le Tour but I'm sure another forum member @Gravity Aided in the States would be able to help you out.
I do recognise those foam bar grips, they were 'Grab-on'.
This would have been a bike brought into the base as his own transport.

Last edited:
yikes not much to go on, in that photo, oh except for the letters "tour" so yeah probably! :-) this is the one I bought about 10 yrs ago cuz I needed a project, I expect it's from the same '70s era. swapped in a taller stem, sold it like that, so I have the original stem if anyone needs one

letour.jpg

the shifters look the same

LeTour_Headlight_DSC_5695.jpg

Last edited:
I think you might have nailed it @rockyroller.
Are they still available secondhand hand over there? I guess you might struggle to find one in good condition.
A quick Google found all these for sale from $100 all the way to $1000.
https://neloscycles.com/Vintage-Cycling-Schwinn-Le-Tour/
here's one w/ new tires

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bik/d/somerville-schwinn-letour-new-tires/7232399732.html

yes, they can be found, but not sure why someone would want one. Wifey was out of town that weekend 10 yrs ago, I had been commuting 34 miles round trip on a MTB that was too small for me & I was desperate for a road bike my size. saw it advertised in Connecticut for $25. it was a 2 hr drive & the tires must have been originals from the '70s. I offered the guy $20 & he was annoyed but I explained the drive & the tires & he caved. I fixed it up, gave it a good home & put into service for a cpl years. I don't remember who I sold it to, but they were pleased to get it

I had 2 Varsities growing up & bought another 2nd hand about 9 years ago. that was a plush ride & the quietest bike I ever rode. heavy, sure, but so what, at 50 I was still young ... yuk yuk

I guess they still make them, whoever makes them, here's a 2011 ...

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-schwinn-letour-road-bike-with/7250423718.html

Last edited:

WesternBikingGirl

I have a 1981 Super Le Tour. The decals are long gone but in those years the Le Tours were 10 speed and the Super was 12 speed. If you look at the catalog linked above you can find the year based on your color. I wasn't sure if mine was an '80 or '81 but based on color it's an '81.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@WesternBikingGirl has one of these, no? Pictures?

OP
OP
blkgoose92

blkgoose92

I’m now convinced it says Le Tour IV! They only made one for men in Frost Blue around that time. Thank you!

From the photo you can just about make out LETOUR II or maybe III? The 1978 III model is available in pearl blue but not the 1977 II model. Some images & info from Schwinn here;
https://bikehistory.org/bikes/letour/

The Schwinn 1977 Catalogue here;
https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1977.html

The 1978 catalogue here;
https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1978.html

WesternBikingGirl

Look at the 1981 Super Le Tour white and you'll see it in much better shape. The years and hard use have not been good to the paint and decals. But I got the chrome to shine using a new found trick.

goldcoastjon

BlkGoose92 and all,

I have reposted the OP from here to the US-based Classic Rendezvous list, where I know there are many sharp-eyed Schwinn fans. I hope some of them join in to help you with your quest and questions.

Schwinn did not make "military" models of their commercially-available bikes as such, to the best of my knowledge. It is possible, however, that certain bikes might have been available through military base PXs overseas....

There are a fair number of Schwinn LeTours available FS here in varying condition. If you want to d ride this bike and not just hang it on a wall,
make sure that you learn about sizing road bikes, as they fit somewhat differently than road bikes.

I wish you all the best in your search.

Jon
Alameda, CA USA

Last edited:
OP
OP
blkgoose92

blkgoose92

Are you in the US or UK? If the former you might know Schwinn is the equivalent to Raleigh in the UK in terms of popularity and familiarity.
I myself have a Schwinn, a bit later than the one in your picture but looks a similar colour.
View attachment 564635
Not too familiar with other models so don't know the Le Tour but I'm sure another forum member @Gravity Aided in the States would be able to help you out.
I do recognise those foam bar grips, they were 'Grab-on'.
This would have been a bike brought into the base as his own transport.

Currently, I am in the US but it’s very possible he was overseas in Asia with this photo.

Top Bottom