Is this a Schwinn LeTour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
PX on the Air Force base may have sold them as well. The LeTour frame at that time was lighter than some of the other bikes, as they had lugged construction and weren't electro forged like the Varsities and Continentals. LeTours and Voyageurs were a bit nicer and lighter. The "suicide" brake levers and the stem shifters mounted forward of the stem point to this as an earlier example. I think it's a 1978 model, looked at one for a H.S. graduation present. And went with something used and hence cheaper since I was going to college.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There are quite a few Schwinns on Ebay in the USA.
This is just one example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Le...763440?hash=item289d4d0970:g:h9kAAOSwY8hfYTIX
1608721358487.png

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
That is the exact one, a bit shy of a couple hundred USD back then. Panasonic may have built them. Later, some Schwinns were built either by Panasonic or Giant. Any time you see three piece cranks and lugwork on a Schwinn from this era, in this price range, I tend to think Panasonic or Giant had a hand in the frame production. Later, mid eighties Schwinns would have many models made of Columbus steel in Greenville, Mississippi. Paramount, and the upper end of the product line can be exceptions to the rule. These were still carbon steel, and relatively heavy.

Top Bottom