Is this a silly idea or what? Cycling London to Paris on a battered 1985 Raleigh Record Sprint.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yea the overpriced ones. Thanks for that.:rolleyes:

You're welcome.

It's always best to have a choice.

Cheapest isn't synonymous with best. :thumbsup:

bigjim

Legendary Member
£1.20 for a brake cable woot woot! A true bargain and a cheap guardian of the rider's health.
Don't be silly.
I think that about the average price actually. Brake cables are made to a standard. Wilkinsons would not make themselves open to legal action by selling an inferior product as important to this. Actually I think I paid 99p last time. Or go to LBS and they are still only £1.29p. I've never actually had a cable snap, nor met anybody else who has. I imagine you would get plenty of warning of upcoming failure as they are multiple stranded. And both go at once? What are the odds?

vernon

Don't be silly.
I think that about the average price actually. Brake cables are made to a standard. Wilkinsons would not make themselves open to legal action by selling an inferior product as important to this. Actually I think I paid 99p last time. Or go to LBS and they are still only £1.29p. I've never actually had a cable snap, nor met anybody else who has. I imagine you would get plenty of warning of upcoming failure as they are multiple stranded. And both go at once? What are the odds?

• I must be cursed then because I have had
  • a gear cable snap - bodged a fix to keep chain on middle chain ring
  • two brake cables snap - one before I got to ride the bike, one on the road with a different bike, both bikes from the mid 80s
  • a rear drop out fracture - brazed up and back on the road within two hours.
  • another rear drop out fracture - bike abandoned in situ, Orleans. Brand new replacement bought to continue tour.
No warnings on the drop out fractures.
Feeling of sponginess before cable snapped on the brakes
Sluggishness on gear change.

Admittedly these things are not everyday occurrences but just because you don't have personal knowledge of cable falures doesn't mean that they don't happen.

As for both cables snapping. Prudent replacement of both reduces the risk further.

On separate occasions so there you go now you can claim to know of someone whose brake cable has snapped.

One brake might be sufficient to slow and stop a bike on the flat or even going up hill but there's sufficient descents around to make an attempt to go down them with only one brake an act of folly.

Zero budget cycling is fine and dandy. I've done it when not having much choice and when in ignorance of the need for preventative maintainance.

I don't mind spending money replacing parts before they fail.

YMMV

Zoiders

No one has suggested that.

However show me where you can by old spec replacement

brake cables
gear cables
chainset - if needed
deraiileur to cope with a 32 tooth old spec freewheel - if used

Modern spec replacement components are impossible to avoid.

Looking at the header - 'a battered 1985 Raleigh Record Sprint' hardly suggests a a bike in good working order does it?
The chainset will be fine.

A tourney derailuer will work and cost a tenner and runs with 6/7 speed just fine, even less for an old long cage mech if you get it from a cycle jumble or recyling project (we charge about a fiver for cleanish ones). There is no need to replace the DT shifters with STI's as has been suggested.

Lots of older spec kit is out there quite cheaply, you dont have to stump up SJS Cycles prices for boutique retro kit.

It might not be a £25 job but under £50 is ceratinly do-able if the tyres and bar tape have been replaced already.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I don't mind spending money replacing parts before they fail.
Easy to say when you have got it isn't it. And it's not always bad kit. It is most of the time the same kit at a better price. It's called market forces.
You're a right harbinger of doom. You must be good fun to go for a pint with. Let the OP go on this journey and enjoy his old bike that just needs a couple of quid spending on it without putting him of by telling him he has to spend loads or else he can't go.

bigjim

Legendary Member
It's your first correct statement so far.

Oooooer :whistle:. Nice to know everything I have said is wrong. Did not know we had got to the I know everything stage already, although I expected it. I knew I should have hung onto your every word and not had the temerity to dare to disagree. We must all now remember to kneel and respect the knowledge of the perfect cyclist. Gosh I think I'm filling up. Sniff.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
FFS. All the OP was after was some sensible advice, not some sort of pissing contest...

vernon

FFS. All the OP was after was some sensible advice, not some sort of pissing contest...

I used to be able to clear a mini.....
thumbsup.png

tyred

Legendary Member
In answer to the OP, not silly at all, there is world of info on the web through Sheldon Brown and other sites, Old Raleighs were basically very well built and will usually run for ever with minimal care.

There is some excellent advice on this thread if you ignore all the bullshit. To Crankarm, the OP wanted to use his Raleigh, not a new bike from Halfords. It is perfectly possible to rescue and old bike without spending a fortune, I have done it in the past without issues, as have many others. Bikes are basic simple machines and short of driving over it with a road roller, they can usually be revived to useable condition with out the need to spend a fortune.

bigjim

Legendary Member
The OP has got a lot of sensible advice and members have gone to the trouble of downloading useful websites that will provide him with a good idea of items that are hopefully within his budget.
All the rest is not any contest, just the usual banter and humour that you would expect when we have a variety of different opinions.
Still wary of sitting near Vernon in the pub though.:smile:

Crankarm

Guru
In answer to the OP, not silly at all, there is world of info on the web through Sheldon Brown and other sites, Old Raleighs were basically very well built and will usually run for ever with minimal care.

There is some excellent advice on this thread if you ignore all the bullshit. To Crankarm, the OP wanted to use his Raleigh, not a new bike from Halfords. It is perfectly possible to rescue and old bike without spending a fortune, I have done it in the past without issues, as have many others. Bikes are basic simple machines and short of driving over it with a road roller, they can usually be revived to useable condition with out the need to spend a fortune.

So where does your bullsh1t figure in the table of bullsh1tters?

Number one I'd say you big nerk. Giving the OP some your pearls of experiece is one thing, but telling me I write bulsh1t is a totally different matter you unpleasant idiot. Sorry to the others but I am sick of ignorant rude internet trolls like you. The OP asked for advice which has been given freely. Just because you don't find my or other posts to your liking doesn't give you the right to tell me I write bullshit. The thread isn't about what YOU think of other's posts and certainly is not an opportunity for you to make unpleasant remarks :angry: .

vernon

So where does your bullsh1t figure in the table of bullsh1tters?

Number one I'd say you big nerk. Giving the OP some your pearls of experiece is one thing, but telling me I write bulsh1t is a totall different mater you unpleasant idiot.

Chill Crankarm.

Ad hominem attacks are best treated with silence or humour.

Top Bottom