Is this a tandem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Built by a cycling buddy, we can't decide if this counts as a tandem. It is certainly unstable, corners horribly and is fairly lousy going straight, but at least it's more sociable than the standard configuration.

FB_IMG_1506198986451.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
No. It's a sociable.

Tandem means one behind another.

OP
OP
T

TVC

Used to have similar things in the seaside town where I grew up (Ilfracombe, Devon). Great fun but heavy and the brakes were awful.

I reckon with modern brakes and a lighter frame they would be lots more fun than they were back in the late eighties/early nineties.
I remember the seaside versions too, normally with a canopy over the top, a tarmac pedallo basically.

OP
OP
T

TVC

Often made with two wheels, sometimes three.
Looking through google images there are some interesting looking contraptions, the two wheeler looks like a pig to master, the trike makes most sense as you get stability and good steering. The problem with 4 wheels - as in this suicide machine - is that without proper ball jointed track rods you don't get differential turn in on the wheels and the whole thing crabs around corners.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Used to have similar things in the seaside town where I grew up (Ilfracombe, Devon). Great fun but heavy and the brakes were awful.

I reckon with modern brakes and a lighter frame they would be lots more fun than they were back in the late eighties/early nineties.

I was just thinking exactly the same thing about my childhood in South Devon. They always had a roof made from the same material as deck chairs. You could hire one and pootle up and down the front. A shame that they're gone. I could afford a go now. Couldn't back then.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Looking through google images there are some interesting looking contraptions, the two wheeler looks like a pig to master...

Apparently not. I read an account of a fellow who went around the world on one, meeting local folk and inviting them to ride with him. He claimed it was as easy as a solo bike, even when ridden solo. I can't remember his name—it was a few years ago.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I was just thinking exactly the same thing about my childhood in South Devon. They always had a roof made from the same material as deck chairs. You could hire one and pootle up and down the front. A shame that they're gone. I could afford a go now. Couldn't back then.
Through the channel tunnel, turn left and you're on the Belgian Riviera in about 40 minutes in a car or a few hours on a bike. Plenty of them available to hire over there.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The drawbacks are obvious. Compared to a tandem two extra wheels have been added plus a lot of extra ironwork and you can't lean through corners.

Reactions: TVC
Top Bottom