is this any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
hope this is correct section? please move if not!
anyway if this is a good buy just tell me and dont go taking it before me as i officially have first dibs on it with the seller!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271201848177&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
would this be any good for jogle/lejog and other long distance rides aiming for between 45-40 miles per day?
Cheers Ed
It looks like it needs some time and money spent on it, especially as it's only got twelve gears, so a six speed freewheel.
Personally I would not buy it as it looks a bit of a state but you can do a jogle/lejog on anything..

simon.r

Person
10 foot bargepole springs to mind.

May be a bit harsh^_^ Lots of TLC, a can of GT85, a tube of grease and the appropriate tools and it would probably scrub up reasonably well.

OP - as above, if you're prepared to spend a bit of time and money I reckon it'd be OK.

It's never going to be a great bike, but if everything works and there's no significant frame damage, then I suspect people have done lejog on worse bikes.

lpretro1

You only need to look at the rust and mildew on the bike to tell you it's a no-no at £100. It's only a 12 speed too. Far better out there. I have known so many folk pay silly money for bikes off ebay then get fed up when it costs theman arm and leg to get running.

That rusty chain would put me off for a start.

If someone has neglected the easiest bit of maintenance possible, what state are the slightly more complicated bits in ?

Could easily end up as a money pit when there are much better bikes out there.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It would be a nice wee bike if seen too properly, certainly as a winter bike, but £100 quid plus the cost of doing it up would put me off a bit. Its always a shame, as I feel that every bike has potential in its own right, but as others have said, there will be better things out there to be had.

You said elsewhere that you are 14? Are you still growing or likely too? I'd be inclined to get something which will be more accommodating for the long term, which brings up another important point someone has already mentioned, what size is the frame?
Besides, quality wins out at the end of the day - Get something better, even if it costs more initially, you will be thankful in the long run. Cheap or run down bikes are normally a false economy (the 'money pit' mentioned by Alan above), and I imagine that there would be nothing worse than coming to the realisation that you have a pig of a bike after investing to do LEJOG on it, or even worse, half way through doing it with several hundred miserable miles to go!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Worth about £50 max, if indeed it is the bike in the photo that he is selling. The blurb is describing a completely different bike. Looks like it has stood outside. As others have said there are better options out there.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The bike looks like it needs plenty of TLC and probably a few new parts. It has clearly been neglected and judging from the angle of the left hand brake lever, probably crashed too. I wouldn't buy it at that price.:headshake:

To give an idea of what you can get; my sister recently picked up a second-hand Dawes Mojave for £100 from one of our local bike shops. It's cosmetically a bit scruffy but mechanically it's sound and had been serviced plus a new chain and freewheel fitted.

If you are buying on a budget it might be worth having a look round your local bike shops to see what is available.:thumbsup:

Shortly after buying it you will wise you had not, as others have said there are better bikes out there for £100 pounds, also there might be unseen damage or hidden rust which might make the frame fail if you start putting it under stress. You would do better to look in your local freebie newspaper, then at least you can go and see any bike before purchase, also a source of bikes often over looked is your county Police, as they often auction off unclaimed bikes. Contact your local cycling clubs and see if any member has a bike they want to sell, as often members have upgraded to bikes better suited to what they want. Also at a club you will find people with experience who would give you good advice.

MarkF

Guru
No, I've bought several, as new, mint, good quality hybrids (Trek FX, Spesh Sirrus, Dawes Discovery) for £200 and toured extensively on all of them..

Top Bottom