is this any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
May be a bit harsh^_^ Lots of TLC, a can of GT85, a tube of grease and the appropriate tools and it would probably scrub up reasonably well.

OP - as above, if you're prepared to spend a bit of time and money I reckon it'd be OK.

It's never going to be a great bike, but if everything works and there's no significant frame damage, then I suspect people have done lejog on worse bikes.
True, i should have said the same as you but i was tired and grumpy at the time :smile:
Its not worth £100 for sure but if your after a retro project it would be a nice buy but at about £30 max.

billflat12

Veteran
No chance of anyone here taking it from you @ £100,!!! steer well clear it,s an old uncared for budget model , will your tours be unsupported ? if your strapped for cash a better option would be a good hybrid or ridged mtb
Maybe something like this if time and money are in short supply ?
.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-S...0982818074?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35c7a6191a
Or if you do prefer retro then something like a ridged steel framed GT or marin will have better quality components & rack fittings
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-Karako...1143375794?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2a2cfc8fb2

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
If I am being honest, I'd say that the Carrera Subway is probably the best suggestion so far, but in the listing, why cash on collection? Its safer to do a transaction within Ebay and Paypal.

Anyway, if you are looking for good makes, and its a touring bike you want, then you could do a lot worse than something like this for example (funny handlbars optional. It isn't the best listing ever picturewise, but at least the bike looks decent from what we can see!):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-Gents-Touring-bike-/151048592544?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item232b329ca0

What do others think of that?

Dawes, Claude Butler and several others are considered good makes here, especially Dawes with their 'Galaxy' (the bike listed above is apparently a cheaper version of the Galaxy, but, its still a Dawes, so is bound to be a quality bike anyway).

MarkF

Guru
Why doesn't somebody just "buy it now"? Am I missing something? If it was 23", I would buy it.

I came across an "as new" bike for my daughter 2 weeks ago, I checked the new price, £265 and used the "buy it now" function to purchase it for £65. The seller told me he'd been pestered to death by people offering low ball bids for days, madness, it really is "as new". :smile:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'd be inclined too, but I'm more of a 22. Not that, I'd imagine it being a 21 would make much difference really.

I don't know why nobody has touched it either. Is it clearly nicked or something?
Or, maybe because its Sterling? :laugh:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
One like this: link? What price did you get it for? (If you don't mind me asking.;) )

Looks like an okay basic bike which, with a few modifications, could be used for the 45 mile per day touring you describe. Some pictures of it would be good when you have them.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom