Is this bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling_Samurai

I hear the sound of the chain in the 12 gear. I think maybe the chain slips a little perhaps. Does this look bad? It looks like it's missing half the tooth. Sorry the pictures aren't that clear.

Attachments

• 20210223_101511.jpg
    20210223_101511.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210223_134537.jpg
    20210223_134537.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

The reason I ask is that I'm asking is that I'm debating on whether to buy a replacement or not. I'm wondering if it's damaging the chain.

I'm seeing a similar pattern in new cassettes. Perhaps it's not a problem. But I'm thinking of changing my range.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
It's probably intentional to make gear changes more efficient. But if there is a distinct noise change on the 12T, which disappears on the sprockets either side, then something could be amiss.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If the chain skips you've got a broken tooth on the cassette. I know one of my bikes currently has one.

My guess is it's OK and is to aid shifting, some of my cassettes have this. The first time I noticed I wondered if it was damage. You're not alone on that one.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

If the chain skips you've got a broken tooth on the cassette. I know one of my bikes currently has one.

My guess is it's OK and is to aid shifting, some of my cassettes have this. The first time I noticed I wondered if it was damage. You're not alone on that one.
Thanks everyone.

I see that some teeth are not congruent on some of the rings. The one I'm pointing out appears broken and not matching the shape of the other non-congruent teeth. As I can distinctly hear when the chain is in that ring I'm concerned if it's damaging the chain in some way. It may be by design but I think doubtful and more likely broken. I had a spill a while ago that bent the hanger. Maybe the tooth took a hit at that time. Otherwise I don't see why the tooth should be broken.
So after considering things I decided to purchase an r7000 11-30 to replace the 11-32. Couldn't find a reasonable price on an Ultegra so I got 105. At the very least the difference in chain rings will provide a different training and still afford some help in climbing hills.

keithmac

Guru
It looks broken to me, looking at the tooth you've arrowed. The whole gear looks a bit worse for wear tbh.

chris-suffolk

Some of the teeth look a bit pointed and worn, others sloped or rounded off - but it's hard to see properly in the photo. Do you have another one that you can sit it next to and compare? Do you have a friendly LBS that will offer advice without pressuring for a potentially un-necessary purchase?

If you check the chain, how worn is it?

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

Some of the teeth look a bit pointed and worn, others sloped or rounded off - but it's hard to see properly in the photo. Do you have another one that you can sit it next to and compare? Do you have a friendly LBS that will offer advice without pressuring for a potentially un-necessary purchase?

If you check the chain, how worn is it?
Actually the cassette isn't that old. The teeth aren't pointy. I did buy another cassette. Maybe a few gears could be swapped.

Update
Ok I'll swap out the damaged gears to keep the 32. Won't jump to 30 just yet. Found going up hill taxing. Need to hit hills more. Probably go to the 11-30 when my chain is stretched.

Last edited:
Top Bottom