Is this bike any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
not sure thats the best approach to buying a bike. I would have thought decide how much you want to spend then get the best you can for the money, regardless of the material its made from.

you can get cheap carbon, same as you can get cheap anything, but there's a reason its cheap.

having said that Ribble have a very good rep. for mail order delivery, so dont think there will be anything wrong with the bike, but I'd rather go to my LBS and pay a bit more for their expertise and have a face to complain to if it goes pear shaped

Globalti

Legendary Member
To be honest it's a bit daft asking if it's a decent bike! Of course it's a decent bike, it will thrill you beyond your wildest expectations! Having owned steel, alu, titanium and now carbon bikes I'm convinced that carbon bike technology is galloping away from the others, which have more or less reached the end of their evolutionary lines. Having started out making carbon frames in simple tubular shapes manufacturers are learning how to lay up and mould the carbon so as to give fantastic torsional stiffness with really good vertical compliance at a light weight and affordable price. There's a real technology race going on at the moment as different factories are pouring R&D money into finding better ways to do it so whatever you buy that's recently manufactured is going to be good. The groupset is Sora, which is respectable enough and if you are the same as most other cyclists you will soon start messing around, modifying and improving the bike to suit your own requirements. Ribble are renowned for the value for money (although perhaps not their service) and if you're in Lancashire you can drive over and collect the bike from their place for a further discount, I believe.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The Special Edition version is better value - Tiagra, £985. The Airline wheels are very heavy however, and I would upgrade to the Shimano 501s (+£15). Also a compact chainset +£2.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That is rather odd is it not? Never priced up a compact vs a double but I don't see why a compact should cost more :S

Judderz

Having said that Ribble have a very good rep. for mail order delivery, so dont think there will be anything wrong with the bike

With an equally bad rep for customer service. 12 months after my owning Ribble, the threads that are set in the frame that hold the bottle cage in have come away from the frame, the Evo wheels are an absolute disgrace to be even called a wheel, the free hub splines are made from philadelphia cheese, they are that soft. Along with the diabolical customer service when I bought the bike, never ever will I shop there again.

As another local option, try www.merlincycles.co.uk in Chorley and look at their Sensa range of bikes, my mate got one just after Christmas, full 105 groupset for £1100.

RhythMick

Über Member
Or Planet X have their carbon Tour on sale right now

lejogger

Guru
Northwest based? Pop down to see Terry Dolan, or at least view what they have available on the website. Prices aren't hugely different to Ribble and he'll set you up properly with what you need, and the quality is excellent.

Lee_M

Guru
Northwest based? Pop down to see Terry Dolan, or at least view what they have available on the website. Prices aren't hugely different to Ribble and he'll set you up properly with what you need, and the quality is excellent.

guy at my cc has just picked up a dolan TT bike, no idea what it is but its gorgeous!

Lee_M

Guru
With an equally bad rep for customer service. 12 months after my owning Ribble, the threads that are set in the frame that hold the bottle cage in have come away from the frame, the Evo wheels are an absolute disgrace to be even called a wheel, the free hub splines are made from philadelphia cheese, they are that soft. Along with the diabolical customer service when I bought the bike, never ever will I shop there again.

As another local option, try www.merlincycles.co.uk in Chorley and look at their Sensa range of bikes, my mate got one just after Christmas, full 105 groupset for £1100.

I had heard that but I have no personal experience, I still recommend an LBS unless you really know what you're doing

Top Bottom