Is this bike suitable for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

There's a few happy Subway riders on CC. ;)

I would prefer drop bars for touring, but I understand that's a British thing and most of our continental cousins use flats. I like mechanical disk brakes, I think that they would give a more reliable response when loaded but, like the drops/flats, there are alternative opinions.

And the 26" wheels are also a debating point. 700c wheels generally work better on the road but touring puts more weight on the wheels so the 26" offerings on the Subway 2 may prove more resilient with a good set of slick tyres.

Plax

Guru
I've toured on a Carrera Vulvan, you'll have no worries on that bike, just set it up so it's comfortable is the main thing.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As said by many already. It's fine for touring if you mean UK/Western EU touring.

I wouldn't do the Silk Road with it though. I'd want an out and out expedition bike for more remote fully laden touring.

Heinz Stücke is 70 years old and started touring in 1962 he has cycled over 600,000 miles around the world and still uses the 3 speed bicycle that he started with in 1962

I think the Carrera will be fine :angry:

Simon

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Is it a BSO? No? Is it made of glass and eggshells and unobtanium? No? Then it'll be fine. It's a bike. You can tour on any bike, imo, if you've a mind.

yashicamat

I think the only point to add really is that the OP may wish to consider investing in a decent saddle as the one the bike comes with is likely to be a squishy affair and would probably get quite uncomfortable after a while. :ohmy:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Plax said:
I've toured on a Carrera Vulvan, you'll have no worries on that bike, just set it up so it's comfortable is the main thing.

...snigger...she said a rude word...

I noticed that, but I decided not to mention it. I can confirm it's a nice ride.
The bike!!!! It's a nice bike!!:ohmy:

rsb

Muddyfox said:
Heinz Stücke is 70 years old and started touring in 1962 he has cycled over 600,000 miles around the world and still uses the 3 speed bicycle that he started with in 1962

I think the Carrera will be fine ;)

Simon

Heinz Stucke... wow...

Top Bottom