Is this dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This was recently on a road I use fairly regularly.

1601893443923.png

The Twatter feedback included:

What could go wrong..
a staggeringly dangerous situation
the potential for someone to go through the barrier and wait at the red traffic light whilst still on the tracks
The unavoidable fact here is that this could very easily have caused a fatal collision between a train and a road vehicle."
I honestly can’t believe what I’m looking at.

Now, assuming the road user has eyes and a brain, and can use them in tandem, is this actually dangerous?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's dangerous because you should assume a fair proportion of drivers won't read the situation. Ideally the lights would be on this side of the level crossing.

You have to mitigate for stupidity.

classic33

Leg End Member
Level crossing signal has priority over temporary lights.

They should have been placed on this side of the crossing. Chances are the level crossing has been used to define one end of the road affected, by the roadworks.

13 rider

Guru
I'm amazed they were allowed to set up temp lights near a level crossing .As an external engineer who has arranged for temp lights I know our sub contractor would not set up lights in that scenario you would have to contact Network rail and I would be amazed if they gave permission for that

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Level crossing signal has priority over temporary lights.

They should have been placed on this side of the crossing. Chances are the level crossing has been used to define one end of the road affected, by the roadworks.
Placing the lights on this end of the crossing would probably need a cable across the tracks so not possible.

Top Bottom