Is this dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
A few seconds after the lights came on, yes, but still time for the idiot faction to get into trouble:

0:00 Amber
0:03 Flashing Red - Barriers Up
0:07 Barriers begin to fall
0:13 Barriers down
0:28 Minimum time in which train arrives if travelling at line speed.

I think there is more time than that.
Light is green, driver crosses level crossing, light changes to red, driver is now stuck by the red light, and probably not clear of the crossing. If the driver jumps the red light, high risk of getting blocked by oncoming traffic.

It's just stupid. There needs to be space after the level crossing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
high risk of getting blocked by oncoming traffic still lower than risk of being wrecked by train if on crossing.

Is that Black Bank near Little Downham?

Shouldn't be dangerous but still surprised they did it. I'd expect it to straddle the crossing, assuming the lights don't interfere with railway signalling or the reverse.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The slave units of multi-head temporary traffic lights generally employ wireless signalling these days. No need for each unit to be physically connected to the master one like they used to be. Makes them much easier to set up and relocate as works progress.
There are rules about temporary traffic signals adjacent to level crossings. Those shouldn't have been put there.

D

Deleted member 26715

The slave units of multi-head temporary traffic lights generally employ wireless signalling these days. No need for each unit to be physically connected to the master one like they used to be. Makes them much easier to set up and relocate as works progress.
There are rules about temporary traffic signals adjacent to level crossings. Those shouldn't have been put there.
Would the WiFi work as a train passes & what would the default of the lights be if WiFi is lost, green both ways, red both ways or as you were before WiFi being lost?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Under no circumstances should portable traffic signals be used at works that straddle a railway level crossing, nor to control road traffic within 50 metres of a level crossing equipped with wig-wag traffic signals." — page 63, Code of Practice on Safety at Street Works and Road Works, October 2013 (which works are required to follow by law - I think that's still the current).

I suspect someone failed to get Network Rail's permission for the works and then did the wrong thing to try to rescue the situation.

classic33

Leg End Member
Would the WiFi work as a train passes & what would the default of the lights be if WiFi is lost, green both ways, red both ways or as you were before WiFi being lost?
They should default to Red* at all locations. Either end in the picture.

*Manufacturers setting.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think it has the potential for the average, impatient, poor-forward-plannong driver to cause a dangerous situation there. That should habe been a road closure done at night to minimise impact.

I presume they were actually working on the road? All too often thsse days traffic lights and cones seem to go in so contractors have somewhere to park while working on the footpath or verge, which is inappropriate. Ive complained about a few recently and one got removed the same day, even though it had apparently been authorised, which im sure engendered feelings of brotherly love towards me from the contractors.

Top Bottom