Is this frame unsafe to ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill.mtb

20200601_124836.jpg
After having some chainring related issues, there's now a pretty big gouge in the frame. The bike is a Specialized Chisel (aluminium frame). Do you reckon this is bound to worsen into a crack, or would it be still safe to ride?

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I can’t see the other side of the tube but On the basis that you have a non penetrating gash affecting around a third of the circumference of that tube, and you have 4 tubes in total holding the rear wheel hub to the bike, then it covers about 8% of the total circumference. If it were mine I would assume it’s therefore safe.

Drago

Legendary Member
There's never a guarantee, but if that should fail I would expect that it would do so progressively. Eyeball it carefully before each ride and you'll likely see if it's cracking or worsening.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Anyone's guess tbh; too many unknowns IMO.

On the up-side I'd guess that's not an enormously stressed area of the frame (the seatstays will probably react most of the vertical loading encountered at the rear wheel), on the down-side it's hard to tell how deep it is / how far through the wall it is and it will be acting as a stress raiser; whether this is critical of course is the hard question.

I'm tight so would personally keep riding it but keep a close eye on it for propagation further into the surface or from either end.

gbb

Legendary Member
Either I'm seeing it wrong or the photo is distorted, or that chainring is well well past it.
Nowt to do with the gash, just looks very worn.

Top Bottom