Is this jacket good for winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
That jacket looks like it would work fine as part of an overall clothing strategy. I keep a similar jacket on hand for keeping rain or wind off my body. For warmth, a good base layer and mid layer of some kind will work well. A full sleeve merino base layer or long sleeve Roubaix base layer with a long sleeve Jersey on top will be plenty.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
If you pedal / work hard enough you will sweat in anything..... If its a bit boil in the bag I wouldn't let it put you off too much. I had one of these jackets a few years ago and it was ok, not as good as my Endura ones I have now mind , but not as pricey either

R25

Regular
Hi Everyone,
I'm planning to buy a cycling coat for winter and I found one particular jacket but I'm not sure if it's recommended for winter (the temperature can drop to zero temperatures here.)?

Also my other question is that what should I wear underneath the jacket?

https://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-cycle-jacket-mens-636571?colcode=63657112
I would avoid the jacket, I had one 4 years ago and wore it 3 times, each time I was sweating as never before. I now have a Altura Night Vision, no problems at all.

byegad

Legendary Member
If you're working hard on your ride you'll arrive soaked in sweat. If you pootle and wear wicking layers it'll be OK over a shortish commute. I used to do 16 miles each way, there was mostly down hill, back was always a slog and the jacket you're looking at would be barely adequate on my out run, but totally useless on my way home.

Truth

You agree with me then Byegad , I know there are jackets that are a lot better than others breathability wise but surely staying dry when pedalling hard is impossible.....

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
My son(11) has the junior version of that Jacket and it's OK at best.Not particularly breathable and only showerproof at best.Then again at less than £20 I wouldn't expect much more from it.

DRM

Guru
Avoid it like the plague, I made the mistake of getting one when I first started cycling, it’s definitely the boil in the bag type, just nylon with no inner, if your after value have a look at Planet X or Decathlon, your local Aldi may even have some jackets leftover from their last promotion

the op hasn't been back since posting the original question - perhaps he bought the muddy fox jacket and boiled to death, although lets hope not

carlyboo

I've tried this jacket out and it lives upto expectation great for visibility in the winter keeps you warm wind resistant just a good all round winter jacket. It is a bit pricey but not as high as some of the more expensive brands. well worth the money in my eyes has worked a treat the past couple of winters and still going strong :wacko: https://www.lusso.bike/collections/mens-jackets/products/aqua-extreme-jacket-v2 Gets bloody grim does the weather in manchester:laugh:

Truth

Is any jacket really breathable though , I often wonder? Never been able to afford anything too expensive so I guess I will never know.....

Be aware that even if others bought something similar years ago and they say it has served them well, the chances are what appears to be the same thing today is very likely made differently. Retailers are always looking to get their products manufactured for less.
Quality of workmanship and materials are likely to have declined.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Is any jacket really breathable though , I often wonder? Never been able to afford anything too expensive so I guess I will never know.....
Yes, Paramo jackets are definitely so - but you pay a price - breathability doesn't come cheap :smile:

Top Bottom