Is this junction signalled properly ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.425...4!1sBWw8JSLtPCVNJqh2X_RpFQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Approaching in the same direction as the camera car with the intention of turning right, the first couple of times I used this new junction I moved into the RH lane, expecting to have to give way to oncoming traffic until a gap appeared.

Then it dawned on me that oncoming traffic was stopped, presumably because they were being held at a red while I had a green.

Almost every signalled junction that I have encountered in my driving career where you are given priority over oncoming traffic has used a RH filter signal which, when it turns to green, indicates that you can safely turn right. As the Google Maps view shows, there is no such filter.

Is my local authority being lazy, cheapskate, or does it simply not know how these things are normally done ?

midlife

Guru
I think it's something to do with nobody going your way is on red while you are filtered right on green. Everybody can go so it's all green?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
No idea. But I remember the days when someone stopping at the red light in the opposite direction would flash to the waiting traffic to tell them they were stopping and it was safe to go. So that you didn't have to wait for the filter light and could start your turn.

Of course, now they're more likely to jump the red light :sad:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I think it technically becomes a cross road after the lights. Either way, people will simply use the force and put the blinkers on and hope for the best in those situations unfortunately...

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's no filter lane and no right hand lane to move into before the stop line. The Google maps link takes me to a position beyond the stop line, the weird sort of middle lane is for turning right from the other direction, where there is a filter arrow (filter arrow only for that lane, no full green so you should never be sat in that middle bit anyway as far as I can tell)

View from before the stop line

View from the other side

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

There's no filter lane and no right hand lane to move into before the stop line. The Google maps link takes me to a position beyond the stop line, the weird sort of middle lane is for turning right from the other direction, where there is a filter arrow (filter arrow only for that lane, no full green so you should never be sat in that middle bit anyway as far as I can tell)

View from before the stop line
View attachment 507659

View from the other side
View attachment 507658

Strange layout! Looking at the top picture it looks like its straight on only, but theres no no right turn sign only a no u turn sign. Looking at the bottom picture it looks like you can turn right from that direction, but once you've crossed the stop lane the outside right turn lane looks wide enough for two cars, so is a right turn allowed from both directions? :wacko:

That one lane caters for right turning traffic from both directions but the traffic from one direction will always be stopped on a red light to allow sole use of the lane. This allows the traffic from each direction to make their turn from the same point on the lane.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Strange layout! Looking at the top picture it looks like its straight on only, but theres no no right turn sign only a no u turn sign. Looking at the bottom picture it looks like you can turn right from that direction, but once you've crossed the stop lane the outside right turn lane looks wide enough for two cars, so is a right turn allowed from both directions? :wacko:
I don't see why not.
That one lane caters for right turning traffic from both directions but the traffic from one direction will always be stopped on a red light to allow sole use of the lane. This allows the traffic from each direction to make their turn from the same point on the lane.
I don't think you'd drive into the lane from each direction. You'd drive across it in one direction and into it coming from the other.

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
There's no filter lane and no right hand lane to move into before the stop line

That's certainly true (though there's a RH lane for traffic coming in the opposite direction, as per your photo). But I don't see what the presence or absence of a second lane has to do with whether there should be a filter signal.

The Google maps link takes me to a position beyond the stop line, the weird sort of middle lane is for turning right from the other direction, where there is a filter arrow (filter arrow only for that lane, no full green so you should never be sat in that middle bit anyway as far as I can tell).

The middle lane is used for right-turning traffic approaching from either direction (though the opposite RH turn is into a minor road, so not much traffic goes that way). I suppose you could infer from the dual use of that lane that the signals aren't going to allow opposing flows at the same time - but a filter signal would make that much more obvious.

Here's a bird's eye view:

Attachments

• Junction.jpg
    Junction.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom