Is this normal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamv66

Hi all

Was out on a ride yesterday and got a puncture in my back tyre. Removed the wheel (Mavic Ksyrium Elite disc) to repair the puncture and the part of the hub which the sprocket is attached to slid off away from the rest of the wheel. Hopefully the pictures show the issue more clearly:

I can slot it back into position and it will stay where it is and the wheel works fine but there is nothing holding it in place at all and it can just slide off again. I'm sure this didn't use to happen. Is this correct/normal? Seems a bit odd.

Thanks for any help!

OP
OP
A

adamv66

Edit: I meant to say "cassette" rather than "sprocket"

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not familiar with these wheels but yes the freehub has somehow unscrewed and come off with the cassette. I’m sure a Ksyrium owner will tell you what’s happened and how to correct it. Probably just needs the correct Allen key.

Oh that's weird. Never happened to me and not meant to happen.

You might need to put it back together and remove just the cassette to get the freehub connected again?

iluvmybike

Über Member
There should be an end cap to keep it all in place!

I always thought freehubs were screwed onto the actuall hub but found with my handbuilt latest wheels it is not the case. After a severe bashing of the bike on a offroad course I cleaned the bike, took the wheels off and the freehub fell off complete with the cassette ( cassette properly secured with lock ring to free hub) a bit as per the posters. ( in the posters pictures there are no sticking out springed pawls ) The hubs I know came from france but have been rebranded with the wheel makers stickers ( Vince's wheels) . I was suprised that the freehub wasnt secured at all and the only thing keeping it intact was the pressure from the bolt through axle when the bike was installed in the frame. Was a bit of a job to get it back in with the springed pawls.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I have the same issue with my Mavic Aksiums, seems as though the only thing keeping it all together is a push on collar on the hub side, I'm not sure but in your photo's the collar doesn't seem to be there? You can still mount the wheel on the bike without the collar and not realise it's missing, don't ask me how I know! :whistle:

Top Bottom