Is this normal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Is this normal? To enjoy having your mother in law staying in your house? Eating your food? Sleeping under your roof? Washing in your bathroom?

Last night while MIL was cooking the meal and Wife was taking care of the baby and I had my feet up on the sofa with a beer everything seemed to magically click into place. I had a vision of the future and I kind of liked it. Let's face it, FIL is not the healthiest feller in the world so it can't be long until we might see 'certain situations' arising.

Maybe this is the beginning of a big nationwide backlash against single living and having extended families under one roof will become fashionable once more? I just can't believe that it's all starting in my living room! ;)

PS, we're out for a nice posh meal tonight, guess who's babysitting? :smile:

Tetedelacourse

The answer is no. You're a weirdo (with too much money - and that's the worst type of weirdo).

gbb

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
Is this normal? To enjoy having your mother in law staying in your house? Eating your food? Sleeping under your roof? Washing in your bathroom?

Last night while MIL was cooking the meal and Wife was taking care of the baby and I had my feet up on the sofa with a beer everything seemed to magically click into place. I had a vision of the future and I kind of liked it. Let's face it, FIL is not the healthiest feller in the world so it can't be long until we might see 'certain situations' arising.

Maybe this is the beginning of a big nationwide backlash against single living and having extended families under one roof will become fashionable once more? I just can't believe that it's all starting in my living room! ;)

PS, we're out for a nice posh meal tonight, guess who's babysitting? :wacko:

We dont have MIL stopping over, but i always enjoy her company and visits....

'Certain situations'...:smile::ohmy::ohmy: With who !!!!!!!!! :wacko:

ChrisKH

Guru
You are extremely lucky dom. My mother in law laughed when my wife suggested a little help after giving birth and said it was our problem not hers. My parents were either ill or dead. Even now (eight years on, two kids), she only babysits for a period of 2 hours under sufferance so we don't get out much. She is not a likeable individual, however we suffer it because a) it's her mother and ;) when we do get out (4 times a year) we do need to get out and need a babysitter, if only for a short time. The only alternative is an adult babysitter which is expensive but it looks like we are going to have to take this route to maintain our sanity.

Eventually there will come a time when her father will die and as women live forever in her family, she will get old and unable to look after herself. I feel that I will be forced to accepting her coming to live with us at that point since she doesn't get on with my wife's sisters partner (or indeed anyone else for that matter). It doesn't seem fair somehow.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
The answer is no. You're a weirdo (with too much money - and that's the worst type of weirdo).

LOL, how did you work out that I had too much money? Especially as it turns out I may have a MIL as well as a wife and baby to support in the not too distant future! :smile: ;)

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
walker said:
Oh, I love Wimpy too:biggrin:

Nah, not going to Wimpy, we've more or less stopped going there now as the service has gone downhill a bit lately. We'll probably push the boat right out, since it's the first time we've been out on our own for about two years, and hit Nando's! ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
So... you assume, based on some sort of comic stereotype, that you ought to hate having your mother-in-law around, but then you realise that with her there, you get to put your feet up and be waited on, and you might get free babysitting out of it.

Dear God, you get shallower with every post!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I always enjoy spending time with the "out-laws". I've never had much in the way of extended family, and all my grandparents shuffled off the mortal coil some time ago.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
So... you assume, based on some sort of comic stereotype, that you ought to hate having your mother-in-law around, but then you realise that with her there, you get to put your feet up and be waited on, and you might get free babysitting out of it.

Dear God, you get shallower with every post!

:smile: Oh don't worry, you ain't seen nothing yet love! ;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I always thought being shallow was a compliment;) Kind of uncomplicated!:biggrin:

My MIL is a kind and generous woman but she can talk bollix for England and the thought of having her living with us is terrifying. Fortunately, she lives nearby so short visits are the norm. She was (and is) wonderful with my children.

yenrod

rich p said:
I always thought being shallow was a compliment;) Kind of uncomplicated!:biggrin:

My MIL is a kind and generous woman but she can talk bollix for England and the thought of having her living with us is terrifying. Fortunately, she lives nearby so short visits are the norm. She was (and is) wonderful with my children.

Theirs a good few on here that can do that... :ohmy:

Top Bottom