Is this part individually replacable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

d4devilx

20200526_121918.jpg

I am not sure what this broken piece attaching ot mudguard is called and if its "individually" replacable? Or is it better to buy new mudguard?

Bicycle is Raleigh Pioneer 1.

Sharky

Guru
Google Mudguard Stays.
A few come up

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Are you pointing to the black plastic thingy, screwed to the eye on the fork blade, that the mudguard stay goes into?

If not don't bother reading on.

If so it's a quick release clip. Its purpose is that if something gets stuck under the front mudguard the stays will pull out before the thing can jam your wheel stuck and send you over the handlebars.

Are they replaceable? Yes they come in pairs. But you have to get the right type, and there is more than one type. I know this from ordering incorrect ones in the past. Here are two possibilities

SKS https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s190p3559/SKS-Secu-Clips
Stronglight https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s190p3749/STRONGLIGHT-Safe-Clip-Set

Edit, I've just looked at the picture again, and it isn't. I thought the hand was holding a screwdriver pointing to the QR. The hand is actually holding the stay, and what has broken is the bit that attaches the stay to the mudguard. Duh.

But I'll leave this here anyway.

As @CanucksTraveller says. Try gluing it back on.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Will see the poxy method though i doubt it will hold for long on long rides, thats my issue, its plain annoying see the stays hanging out when cycling.

A half decent epoxy will hold it indefinitely, but if you're unsure just unscrew and disconnect it at the fork end... as @Globalti hints at, it's highly doubtful whether it needs two each side. One stay will do fine in the medium, even long term while you source a new mud guard.

OP
OP
D

d4devilx

A half decent epoxy will hold it indefinitely, but if you're unsure just unscrew and disconnect it at the fork end... as @Globalti hints at, it's highly doubtful whether it needs two each side. One stay will do fine in the medium, even long term while you source a new mud guard.

Epoxy worked fantastic thanks for the suggestion. Gorilla worked.

Top Bottom