is this possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Bikes don't like changing gears while peddling , so try and change before hills, or work up momentum you change whilst not peddling.

I'm not great at hills, being a bit plump, but after struggling last year decided this year I'd take on any hill put in front of me. Being a larger athlete, watched a documentary that suggested cycling in a lower gear and peddling more to put strain off my legs and onto lungs and heart. Have done this on two hilly rides this week(over 3000ft of climbing on both) and found this to be great for me.

As I said on another thread, your leap in miles has been massive, so don't get disheartened. As you see on here you have lots of support from all of us who haven't met you, and will help in any way we can. This time last year I'd done about 300 miles, this year im at 1595 , and a lot of that is down to what I have learned from on here, and the support and motivation from others.

Keep at it, you are doing great.

02GF74

Über Member
I am not medially qualified nor know what injury you have to your knees but as a first step I would suggest seeking someone who knows what they are talking about for advice - it may turn out that cyling in any form will is bad for you.

Cycling does not load he knees with weight like walking and running does so is a good way to strengthen legs. Mountain biking goes over rough terrain so there will be jerks and bumps and irregular pedalling rhythm, none of which helps dodgy knees.

I would suggest getting a turbo trainer and spin an easy gear at around 90 rpm. As your strength improves, do road rides on flattish roads and if that goes well, progress off road. It may help to have a full suspension bike as that will take a lot of the shock from the terrain.

It goes withou sayin that your bike should bethe correct size and the saddle at the correct height - plenty of information on how to do that.

Top Bottom