Is this reasonable on a newish bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threshold

Looking for some advice please, I've had my Aether for about 2 months now, and only done about 700 miles, but I noticed today whilst cleaning it wear on the drive ring as shown:- My question, -- Is this reasonable wear for the given time period/mileage or should I be approaching the LBS, and if so, what can I say/expect?
Thanks in anticipation :wahhey:

The wear seems to follow a pattern of pointed tooth, 2x cut down teeth, pointed tooth. Could be the tooth design intended to make up & down gear changes smoother and easier? Some teeth seem undercut on the outside - up changes? Can't fully see the other teeth but are they undercut on the otherside for down changes?

If I'm totally wrong then I would agree something doesn't look right.

RedBike

That chainring doesn't look worn to me. When a chainring wears the teeth become sharp and pointed. The tops of the teeth on that chainring are still curved or flat. Not in the slightest bit sharp and pointed.

Shimano like to put ramps and half teeth on their chainrings and cassettes claiming these additions help improve shifting. Even a new chainring tends to have teeth that at first glance look missing or worn.

OP
OP
threshold

threshold

Whew, thanks a lot guys, it looked like to me ( an eedjut novice) like the tops of the teeth had sheared off, but apparently its all as it should be.
As a mechanical engineer it didn't look like the kind of profile finish associated with a medium grade cycle, but I live and learn!
Thank you all for your time

RedBike

If you look at the cassette at the back you'll see some of the teeth on this are also missing.

Top Bottom