Is this safe ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi All,

Please see pics of my Carbon steerer off my SL PRO forks.

Ive been keeping me eye on this and there is a visible mark that goes around the steerer exactly where the bottom of the stem clamps.

when running my finger over it i can feel its slightly raised, no sign of damage inside the steerer and the bung extends below this mark also.

I am 100% the stem has NOT been over tightened, I used my torque wrench and its not gone past 5Nm i am sure of this and very conscious of this when tightenening so it makes it all the more concerning for me.

I emailed them a pic they said it should be fine, and they have had no steerer problems with the forks on the sl pro which is slightly re-assuring but I wanted to ask the opinion of fellow CC'ers.

5633652567_2e9fcdd496.jpg
">

5633652563_80d98154f5.jpg
">

Must say the last pic looks a lot worse than it does in the flesh of feels when running a finger over it like its shallow scabbing or something ?

wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Attachments

• wacko.gif
    wacko.gif
    681 bytes · Views: 34
  • wacko.gif
    wacko.gif
    681 bytes · Views: 30

raindog

er.....
That looks a bit dodgy to me.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Ive been starring at it for ages some shops say yes should be fine some say hmmm slightly dodgy so do I push for replacement forks or ride.

It feels solid enough some steerers have a lacquer/finish over them these ones are quite raw as in matt no finish rather like the texture of a chalk board where you touch them and they mark sort of thing. But the scabbing is a worry

maybe im answering my own question but when I get on the bike its always on my mind !

Looks well dodgy to me too.

I am certain that the average bod in the average bike shop would not be any more knowledgeable on the subject of damaged carbon fibre than any of our esteemed members. The only folk I know who could say for sure one way or the other are Argos Racing Cycles in Bris. They're the company that every bike brand use to do their steel/alu/carbon repair and finishing work.

gbb

Legendary Member
Is that line where the spacer stack stops and your stem starts ? Looks like maybe leaning on the handlebars and putting pressure on the stem has slowly dug it into the steerer.
I had mine apart a couple of weeks ago, gave the whole thing a really close inspection and saw some evidence similar to yours.
TBF, the mark on mine's extremely faint, yours looks considerably deeper, but the carbon steerer on mine is quite thick. I think i'd get it checked out regardless.

Part of me is thinking remove one of the spacers, so the stem is slightly lower and clamping lower than the mark...but then you change the riding position, and i just dont know whether its the right thing to do anyway.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Is that line where the spacer stack stops and your stem starts ? Looks like maybe leaning on the handlebars and putting pressure on the stem has slowly dug it into the steerer.
I had mine apart a couple of weeks ago, gave the whole thing a really close inspection and saw some evidence similar to yours.
TBF, the mark on mine's extremely faint, yours looks considerably deeper, but the carbon steerer on mine is quite thick. I think i'd get it checked out regardless.

Part of me is thinking remove one of the spacers, so the stem is slightly lower and clamping lower than the mark...but then you change the riding position, and i just dont know whether its the right thing to do anyway.

Yes is exactly at the top of bottom spacer lower part of the stem the line is definitely caused by the lower edge of the stem. Its a standard planet X stem.

The last pic does make it look alot worse than it is the line is rather faint in the flesh albeit with some scabbing going on.

I think Mickle has confirmed my fears the average bod in a lbs is going to be no better than anyone else at 'looking' and confirming its safety.

asterix

Comrade Member
Now I know why I like steel

Ok, I was going anyway..

gbb

Legendary Member
A bit late now perhaps, but i'd have a look at the bottom of the stem, particually at the front where it slides over the steerer. Is it chamfered very slightly so you dont have a sharp 90 degree angle biting into the steerer...does that make sense.

raindog

er.....
The thing is you could probably ride with that come rain and shine up hill and down dale for the next ten years without any problem, but personally I'd feel uneasy with a steerer marked like that.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
The thing is you could probably ride with that come rain and shine up hill and down dale for the next ten years without any problem, but personally I'd feel uneasy with a steerer marked like that.

Thats exactly what I was thinking !

Its going back ive phoned them today pics were sent and they agree it could be a problem. My lbs saw the pics and said I shouldn't ride it also which is where im taking it tonight to disassemble.

what a nightmare

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies.

What is meant by a chamfer ? I checked the stem it's smooth can't feel any sharp edges etc.

Also I didn't install the fork the bike is 4 weeks old so am a little peeved to say the least.

My concern is they will try and say I overtightened it which I know I did not.

Top Bottom