is this sensible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coco69

Veteran
A group of us are doing a 80+ bike ride in august(all novices) he has has cannondale bad boy disc do you think this is the bike to do it on

I don't really know what a Cannondale Bad Boy disc is. But I do know that people have been riding bikes for long distances for years without having to have a special sort of bike to do it on. Dervla Murphy went over the Pyrenees - or somewhere like - on an old Raleigh with Sturmey Archer 3 speed gears. As long as your mate wants to do it and his bike is in reasonable working order, it'll be fine.

Fiona N

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
...Dervla Murphy went over the Pyrenees - or somewhere like - on an old Raleigh with Sturmey Archer 3 speed gears....

Dervla Murphy went all the way to India (from Ireland) on an old Raleigh (it wasn't old at the time, of course) with a 3-speed Sturmey Archer because she had no mechanical knowhow whatsoever (her confession) and didn't think she would be able to rely on derailleur gears for the several thousands of miles involved.

About 20 years after her trip, I followed in her wheel tracks through Pakistan, and the 'roads' were still unbelievably bad. Often donkey tracks had been widened so it was just about possible to get a jeep through with help from the locals who would pick it up and carry it over the bad bits. I wimped out by used a touring mountain bike kitted out with 21speed gears.

But if Dervla could do her trip on her Raleigh, I don't see why 80 miles (I assume) on a modern hybrid would be an insurmountable challenge for a fit person.

Fiona N said:
But if Dervla could do her trip on her Raleigh, I don't see why 80 miles (I assume) on a modern hybrid would be an insurmountable challenge for a fit person.

Exactly. One of the things I don't like about this modern age is the fact that it seems to be necessary to know how to do everything before you do it. The bloke's got a bike, he's got legs: that's all he needs.:smile:

Top Bottom