Is this the correct section ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Artj

I wanted to discuss etc my wife's 30 year old Knight bike but as a first time poster I am not sure if it is considered ' Vintage ', I have to wait until I have permission to post a photo but just wanted to know if i was in the correct area ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You're in the right place. If you want to post a picture you could use a link to a photo site.

Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
A

Artj

Thanks everyone, I have a suitable photo as soon as I am cleared as a non spammer etc I will add it to this thread, again thanks for the welcome.

OP
OP
A

Artj

Just to add a few details, the frame and forks are 531 double butted, the chainset is a triple made by TA but branded as Tevano and is a direct replica of the Campag Super Record of it’s day, wheels are Mavic rims on Campag Grand Sport ? large flange hubs, these have circular holes in the flanges compared with the more oval ones in the more expensive hubs, Cinelli bar and stems, Mafac braze on brakes, Blackburn front and rear racks, Sun Tour bar end shifters

OP
OP
A

Artj

i keep thinking of things, the frame was a custom build by Les Holland one of the partners in Knight Cycles, when it was explained that the intention was to carry a young child in a seat on the rear rack he was concerned about how to securely mount the rack to the seat stays, he had a think as the he felt the off the peg braze on mounts would not be strong enough, in the end he modified two braze on lamp brackets intended for the front forks which allowed a much more substantial bolt to be used when securing the rack to the seat stays.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i keep thinking of things, the frame was a custom build by Les Holland one of the partners in Knight Cycles, when it was explained that the intention was to carry a young child in a seat on the rear rack he was concerned about how to securely mount the rack to the seat stays, he had a think as the he felt the off the peg braze on mounts would not be strong enough, in the end he modified two braze on lamp brackets intended for the front forks which allowed a much more substantial bolt to be used when securing the rack to the seat stays.

Ingenious people these frame builders

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I wanted to discuss etc my wife's 30 year old Knight bike but as a first time poster I am not sure if it is considered ' Vintage ', I have to wait until I have permission to post a photo but just wanted to know if i was in the correct area ?

I'm not the arbiter for this place, but I recall a classic car show whose rules defined a "classic" car as a car which is considered classic in the opinion of its owner.

OP
OP
A

Artj

There it is, i hope I have not built it up too much and this is a bit of an anti climax ? This being my wife's bike has had much less usage than my bike built at a similar time by the same builder, mine had to have a respray etc due to daily use going to and from work so whilst being a close replica to this now sports the decals of my local bike shop ( Dave Mellor Cycles ) as it was not possible to get the Knight transfers but it does have the engraved K on the seat stay wrap over.

_ART2460.jpg

Top Bottom