is this the daftest fleabay auction ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
with less than two hours to run, the top bid for one of those ghastly old Bluemels pumps is an astounding sixty-seven quid! Can anybody think of any reason why on earth anybody would spend that kind of money on an old-fashioned bike pump?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1...0802?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR

$(KGrHqRHJCIE7z!mKVGzBO94RZQGv!~~60_12.JPG

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Because they're a posing git?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
with less than two hours to run, the top bid for one of those ghastly old Bluemels pumps is an astounding sixty-seven quid! Can anybody think of any reason why on earth anybody would spend that kind of money on an old-fashioned bike pump?

The pursuit of authenticity. Some obsessive folk like to restore vintage bikes with age authentic parts. I'm eyeing up a 1947 Bates with cantiflex tubing and diadrant forks. Should I ever become its owner (only its second) I would try hard to restore it to it's original condition but would compromise if the price of bits are north of stupid.

For some folk, expense is no barrier to their restorations.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think a certain type of person simply gets carried away. They start out with a maximum bid in mind and then think. "Well, just a little bit more", till eventually the competitive nature takes over and they can't bear the thought of losing.

I wonder how many "winners" have woken up next morning horrified at what they have paid for a piece of tat? The pumps in the OP are still ten a penny, millions were made and I bet many a long standing LBS would have one somewhere, let alone car boots and junk shops.

bobg

Über Member
I'm afraid that I can understand the compulsion to complete an accurate original restoration. Not saying I'd pay £67 for a Bluemels pump but I spent quite some time looking for a 50's one with an original Raleigh legend for my Roadster. The fact that it was crap at inflating tyres was a not an issue. :wacko:
Not sure about shill bidding either, most of the tools he sells are pretty decent quality and go for reasonable sums. He's been selling since 2006 with good feedback and if he was at it then I'd have thought bidders would have sussed it by now.

Top Bottom