Is this the worst bike shop in the world?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Here are a couple of pictures I took this morning in an Indian-owned bike shop just opposite my hotel in Fourways, Johannesburg. This is only one of five stores they have but it's mahoosive, with hundreds and hundreds of bikes all lying around in various states of build, some looking quite old and dusty. The stock is just piled up and hung from walls with no attempt at presentation; no order and no clear labelling or pricing. It is also very hot especially upstairs where they keep the road bikes so even if you are interested in buying something you end up just giving up in despair.

Anybody got any candidates for a worse-managed shop?

IMG-20130216-00812_zps74e36607.jpg

IMG-20130216-00811_zps4620a39c.jpg

Lee_M

Guru
i guess its only badly managed if the staff cant find something? otherwise its effective use of space!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've had the 'hot in the upstairs showroom' experience a couple of times.

Might be because I'd just stepped off the bike.

Sandra6

Veteran
Ooh 'eck.
Method in their madness?! I dunno.
The re-bike place near here - recycling donated bikes for sale - is a bit like that on a smaller scale. They do sort of present the finished bikes, but the ones waiting to be worked on are in a huge pile in a corner of the workshop.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like heaven to me!

Well, it's not a bike shop, but when I used to take part in Jiu Jitsu, the shop where we got most of our equipment was a converted tiny old terraced house. The owner had things literally just piled up inside it - there was no possible way of browsing, and no discernible order to the chaos. Indeed, you could barely walk from the door to the counter at the back, having to turn sideways and sidle through gaps between boxes at times. However, it was almost magical in that when you asked the owner - a small Chinese gentleman using the English name of Phillip - what you wanted, he would quite literally leap into, onto or over the pile, traversing it with the ease of a monkey, vanishing into it and coming out seconds later with the exact item requested. He was never, ever out of stock!

Add to this some of his other little quotes, and I still miss going there now!

On a handwritten sign in the window "Shoplifters get free - good punch"
To one of our over enthusiastic members who enquired about throwing stars "You stupid! Pay five pound for throwing star, you throw, you miss. 10p brick, you throw, you kill!"

D

Deleted member 23692

Rummage-tastic!! That looks great place top spend the day .

Most of the ones local to me are far too much space and far too little choice

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Copper cyclist - Spa Cycles were just like this. I think they've moved to new premises so not sure how they are now.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have a terrible weakness for seemingly chaotic shops like that. It's like wandering through a bazaar, rather than visiting a sterile shrine with a few items "tastefully" displayed. I much prefer Lidl to Waitrose as a shopping experience.

Top Bottom