Is this torque wrench/repair stand good or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Veteran
I agree with other posters. The stand looks useful, but I don't have one. I manage without but I sometimes think I could do with one.

A word about spring type torque wrenches. They can lose accuracy quite quickly such is the nature of springs - they tend to relax a bit over time. They can be calibrated; it's not easy to find someone to do it, and if you can it becomes an ongoing expense. You can develop 'the feel' with experience of what is pretty close to the accuracy of a spring type torque wrench. The quality of those cheaper ones is frankly a bit naff. If you do go ahead and buy one, you can preserve the accuracy a bit by remembering to wind the torque wrench off each time before you put it away.

In your shoes I'd spend the combined cost of the two items on a better quality stand or better quality torque wrench. I'm confident with screw fixings, so personally I'd buy a better quality stand, but if you're a bit nervous about them, buy a better quality torque wrench would be my advice.

Overtightening should not tend to lead to creaks, undertightened ones likely will. Screws don't tend to shake loose and fall out just suddenly unless left really loose, especially if threadlocked. Checking them regularly is one way of keeping yourself safe, but in the case of threads using threadlock, keeping on tweeking them will negate the work of the threadlock.

Another type of torque wrench you can consider is the preset type. They are not adjustable, but have a fixed value, so you'd likely need two of them to set the smaller screws on your bike without fear of stripping them. Some of those have removable / replaceable drive bits, but others have fixed. I'd prefer to own the two Bontrager ones on the linked page below than the one you have in mind.

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/search/torque-wrench

BTW Triton Cycles have provided excellent service to me, they have been spot on and are now my go to place to buy my stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 26715

I prefer the torsion type ones, although probably as inaccurate they at least give you a feel on how 8Nm feels like so in future you have a clue, I bought mine from Decathlon but they don't seem to sell them anymore but it's this type https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable...306706?hash=item28a4e73152:g:Jx0AAOSwJxVf3HRt

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Its between 2nm - 24nm Is that enough for all cycling tightening needs?
I will be overhauling ,my bike tightening everything again checking for the creak that I still have to solve.
I don't know your bike but reattaching cranks to square taper BB usually requires about 49Nm IIRC.

Also, I prefer beam torque wrenches because they have less risk of dying from old age than clickies.

Creak hunting guides: https://sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html https://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html#creak

byegad

Legendary Member
If you're using a steel frame a torque wrench is a bit of overkill. Aluminium and you really need one. Carbon, one over-torqued item can be bye-bye frame.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I wouldn't consider doing any kind of serious work on a car or motorbike without a decent torque wrench (I have three), but I have never, ever used one on a bicycle. The torque settings are generally in the range where you can gauge it by feel - snug, firm, tight, bl**dy tight, etc. and below the range of most torque wrenches. Mind you, I have only ever worked on older machines, never on an aluminium frame or anything carbon fibre. Developing the feel of what is adequately tight and what is overtight is part of the fun of learning to work with mechanical things IMO.

I have a work stand from Lidl/Aldi. It was under £30 and has transformed working on the bike. Wouldn't be without one now. If you don't have either, I'd go for the workstand every time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Its between 2nm - 24nm Is that enough for all cycling tightening needs?

It is all but impossible to find a single torque wrench which has a wide enough range to cover every fixing on a bike.

For that, you would need a low range one like the one in your link, and a higher range one.

Overkill for most people, not least because the tighter a fixing needs to be, the less critical a few Nm either way becomes.

Whatever wrench you buy, do not use it as an extra long extension bar, and always relax it after use by winding it down to a lower setting before putting it away.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom