Is this true?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Of course it's not true :rolleyes:

Gotta love the internet.

screenman

Legendary Member
Never true, internet experts and all that stuff. Think about it most running 10 or 11 starting at what 11 so that would take you up to a 22 then on that front say a 53 x 42 and you can see not a lot different from us lot.

Nik Bowdler I think runs a 75 front and does quite well, but this is an exception.

VQl0xmk3KiAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

VamP

Banned
Yeah, but HLaB, what the guy is saying is that the pros use 50/11 (ish) as their climbing gear!!!

Contador (and others) uses a specially adapted 34t (ish) for some of the climbs. Pros use what is most efficient for the race they are doing - sometimes that goes outside the range us mortals are used to (in both directions), but no-one can climb 15% with a 50/11!

Yeah, but HLaB, what the guy is saying is that the pros use 50/11 (ish) as their climbing gear!!!

Contador (and others) uses a specially adapted 34t (ish) for some of the climbs. Pros use what is most efficient for the race they are doing - sometimes that goes outside the range us mortals are used to (in both directions), but no-one can climb 15% with a 50/11!
As a pure climbing gear the bloke is talking garbage in TT's, as you say maybe, they'll (their team) will modify their set up to suit. I forget what gearing it was but I was talking today to somebody doing a charity challenge with Obree and a couple of other celebs and Obree is using a stupidly high gear (for me anyway :rolleyes:).

jay clock

Massive member
What a load of utter bollox!
the pros easiest gear is harder than a standard hardest gear.

let's assume you have a standard compact, but maybe have slipped on a 46 front ring. And you have smallest cog of 15 (unusual, but for the sake of argument). Your "hardest" gear is 82". In reality 95+% of road bikes with a compact will have a 50/34 with a cassette of something like 12-25, so a hardest gear of over 100"

The easiest gear a pro could have (with a "difficult" set up) would be 42-18, so a 63" "easiest" gear

As I say, bollox

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I wonder where the concept that brought us Sram Apex came from? :whistle:
Did beefie bertie request the set up from sram for mountain stages?

In 2008, for the Plan De Corones TT, SRAM made a specific set up for Alberto Contador (Saxo-Bank Sungard Team): the Apex story with its WiFLi concept (Wider, Faster, Lighter) started there! Three years later Alberto, the original Apex test pilot, used the Apex in the Dolimites.

Attachments

• 5750032637_547ae9b31f.jpg
    5750032637_547ae9b31f.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 30

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Did beefie bertie request the set up from sram for mountain stages?

In 2008, for the Plan De Corones TT, SRAM made a specific set up for Alberto Contador (Saxo-Bank Sungard Team): the Apex story with its WiFLi concept (Wider, Faster, Lighter) started there! Three years later Alberto, the original Apex test pilot, used the Apex in the Dolimites.
Precisely CK not quite a 50:11 :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 5750032637_547ae9b31f.jpg
    5750032637_547ae9b31f.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 36
Never true, internet experts and all that stuff. Think about it most running 10 or 11 starting at what 11 so that would take you up to a 22 then on that front say a 53 x 42 and you can see not a lot different from us lot.

Nik Bowdler I think runs a 75 front and does quite well, but this is an exception.

VQl0xmk3KiAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Not on the time trialling forum are you screenman? We see Nik quite often, he doesn't understand the word "cadence" BTW that gear is on fixed.

classic33

Leg End Member
Had a top gear of 228.27, that found a fair bit of use once up & rolling.
Front 62, rear 11 + 50% increase through a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub.

If you have a road bike you should know that the pro's easiest gear is legs are harder than your hardest gear legs.

Not gramatically perfect but much nearer the truth

Top Bottom