Is this wheel dead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Asking for a friend, is this repairable, or dead?

_20181121_080232.JPG

IMG-20181119-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20181119-WA0000.jpg

There's a slight buckle as well, but that might just be the spoke tension.
I think he said it's 18 months old.

Dead?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
How did it happen? Might be worth asking Mavic about warranty if it wasn't crash damage (or even if it is) they seem to offer pretty good warranty conditions.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

He bought the bike 2nd hand. He thought he'd mullahed it on our ride on Sunday, but he looked at the pics he'd taken before and the damage was already there.
He's approaching Mavic for some help.

No, it isn't dead. That broken bit is just a fairing and not structural. The spokes anchor deep inside, on a stronger rim. It looks to me as if the spoke got a knock and broke a little hole in the fairing. You can confirm by plucking the spoke and see if it produces a tone. If it does, it is still anchored and the wheel is good to ride.

Here's a piece of a similar Mavic wheel. This is the older Cosmic which still had an aluminium rim glued to a carbon fibre fairing.

Cosmic cross section.jpg

The damage is therefore entirely cosmetic.

Last edited:
It’s got a bit of damage to the shroud, that’s not structural, so sort the buckle out ( probably to do with that spoke, which is a simple replacement spoke job, and re true of the rim ), and as long as the cosmetic look of the hole isn’t a massive trauma, it’ll be good to go.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Thanks folks. Good news for him, then, if Mavic don't want to help or if it's out of warranty.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looks ugly but useable

Top Bottom