Is this worth 2700??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Guru
Its very subjective, that's about 41 gear inches, so yes you can get up a 10% hill on that. but would you want to do that all day / at the back end of a long ride or for an extreme example, Mont Ventoux, that averages about 8% and doesn't have much over 10%, but you wouldn't be "fine" on that gearing.

anyway we digress - its not a very practical bike, even if you like its aesthetics. I think the extreme aero position is more of an issue that its gears.

vickster

Legendary Member
The OP says 90% of his riding is flat so he’s not riding in the Alps all day

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
:laugh::laugh:
Stop it. You're killing me. ;)
It's the way you tell 'em.
No, it's eminently possible. I've ridden my TT bike, with a single ring and bottom gear of 55x28, on lots of hilly courses, including the Dursley RC Hardriders which goes up Old London Road in Wotton with pitches of >20%. Okay, I wouldn't want to ride an Alpe on it, but it's a pretty low gear really.
I've also ridden Winnats Pass on 42x23 (because that's the way it was done in ye olden days).

T4tomo

Guru
No, it's eminently possible. I've ridden my TT bike, with a single ring and bottom gear of 55x28, on lots of hilly courses, including the Dursley RC Hardriders which goes up Old London Road in Wotton with pitches of >20%. Okay, I wouldn't want to ride an Alpe on it, but it's a pretty low gear really.
I've also ridden Winnats Pass on 42x23 (because that's the way it was done in ye olden days).
I bet you're not 90Kg like the OP is though...

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
It's also not sensible to ridicule a poster for positing that 50x32 is a sufficiently small gear for riding a bike like that. It is virtually equivalent to 39x25, which is as small a gear as most riders would have or need on a race or fairweather rapid bike.

I ride out in the fens, which is, well, flat, and that kind of gearing would totally bust me. Especially riding on an arrow-straight road into a hoolie of a headwind.

But then again, I weigh nearly 40kg less than the OP. :blush:

Oh yeah, and the bike offends my sense of aesthetics too. :stop: Besides, it's not red. :whistle:

I only know of Cork from the Young Offenders show - but looked to be some cracking hills round there. How does the bike cope I wonder ?

Top Bottom