Is using grease that's 25 years old ok?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm still using a tub of grease I bought from Wilko in the early 90s... I knew at the time it'd last me a lifetime :okay:
Hope you aren't scraping the bottom.

D

Deleted member 26715

Really? There was a brand new headlamp too but I threw it in the bin.
I'd dig that back out, no real idea of the value, but there will be some collector out there who is currently pulling their hair out trying to get their hands on those parts that they can't find. List them on Fleecebay at a silly price & see if somebody contacts you.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'd dig that back out, no real idea of the value, but there will be some collector out there who is currently pulling their hair out trying to get their hands on those parts that they can't find. List them on Fleecebay at a silly price & see if somebody contacts you.
I think it may already have gone. Might list the windshield bits though. For a silly price as you say, it's not worth my time for pennies. I think that's it for treasure though, the rest is old rusty saws and unidentifiable liquid in a jar.

LJR69

My wife STILL watches Grease in whatever form it passes us by (film, show, school-****-ing Play). I believe it's had its day and should not be used in any form ever again.

Don't know if that helps

Reactions: C R

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It should still be ok spread on toast
Ha ha!

That's an excuse to resurrect my tale of ancient mustard...

Pah - sell by/use by dates! :whistle:

A mate had a barbecue for his 40th birthday. I wanted some mustard for my veggie burgers and he told me there was some in his kitchen cupboard. I went into the kitchen which was a bit gloomy in the fading evening light, but didn't bother switching the light on. I spread mustard on my burgers, bit into them and promptly spat the whole lot out again. They tasted absolutely disgusting!

I switched the light on and examined the mustard, which turned out to be orange rather than bright yellow. The use by date was many YEARS earlier, and the jar had already been opened. I asked my mate and it turned out that he didn't like mustard - it had been brought over from his gran's kitchen after she'd died nearly a decade before the party! :laugh:

All my rebuilds are done using a 30 year old pot of Castrol grease.
Too right.

People that use modern lubes on "classic" bikes are only fooling themselves ... :stop:

tyred

Legendary Member
Somewhere at home is an unopened one pint tin of Duckhams 20w-50 which is God only knows how old. It was on a shelf in my Granddad's workshop for as long as I remember. Must be at least forty year old.

rrarider

Veteran
Somewhere at home is an unopened one pint tin of Duckhams 20w-50 which is God only knows how old. It was on a shelf in my Granddad's workshop for as long as I remember. Must be at least forty year old.
That's motor oil for a very small engine. I used to buy it by the one gallon can for my cars.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That's motor oil for a very small engine. I used to buy it by the one gallon can for my cars.
People used to buy small bottles for the inevitable topping up between 3000 mile services. Things have changed a bit now with 20k service intervals being quite common and topping up being rarely required on a healthy engine.

Top Bottom