Is WD40 better than dry lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RDee

Hi all,
I’m aware that there are some very strong views on lube out there but I thought I would go ahead and poke the bear as this does bother me!

In short, WD40 seems to make my gear train run much better than my MuckAway dry lube, and I was wondering if anyone could explain/ offer advice?

The longer story is, I commute about 100miles a week and so keep my bike reasonably well looked after. Clean the chain and relube with dry lube about once a week (but switch to wet lube during the Winter). Anyway my drive chain was starting to make a little noise, gears were trimmed but the noise was from rear derailleur somewhere could never figure it out. But then I got caught in the rain, loads of surface water and this stripped all of the lube. When I got home I forgot to relube so when I went to work the next day my bike was making loads of noise. At work I found some WD40 which I applied liberally and on my ride home the bike was so quiet, dream like! The other pre-rain noise had gone!

So my question is why? Is WD40 as good (better?) than dry lube? I’m guessing WD40 will disappear much quicker, but for the peace when riding I don’t mind reapplying more often.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
standard wd 40 cleaned the gunk and corrosion off your chain that was causing the noise , in itself it has only a small percentage of lubricants that will quickly evaporate .
in short wd 40 better than nothing but not as good as proper oil

SuffolkBlue

I've always just used WD40 as a cleaner or for protection against moisture and corrosion. I used to use it on my chain to clean and lubricate when I was a lot younger because that's what my Father had in the shed !!!
Your post made me wonder so I did a bit of googling. Some info and refreshingly honest info on their website facts page which also revealed that they do bike products as well (which I wasn't aware of :unsure: !!!)

https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The WD has probably softened some of the wax to act a bit better. You'll be better sticking with wet lube given mileage otherwise you need to re-apply more. I've used dry lube recently as the canal path has been so dusty the chain has been getting filthy with the dust. Whilst the dry lube has helped, I'm finding it needs re-lubing after two commutes. Dry is OK providing it's not dusty or wet.

I do run the other three bikes on wet, MTB and two road bikes - just easier to wipe the chain clean with an old rag. I'll be back on wet on the commute bike shortly once the dust goes.

WD40 is a really good cleaner - great for getting tar spots off the car door !

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I run all my bike and trike on WD40 have done for years, I get 6500 + miles out of each chain more on my trike.
The only draw back you need to spray on on every 4 - 5 days.

Butter, margarine, cooking oil etc are all better than WD40. WD40 does not stay long so not ideal as lubricant. It is penetrating oil.

Good for cleaning gunk and other abrasive rubbish that weakens the chain.

Gillstay

Über Member
It may be seen as a penetrating oil, but it's not a good one ! Have been doing experiments and for price and effectiveness the Bilt Hammer one is excellent. Esp if doing something serious like the suspension on a rusty old car.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I thought the WD stood for water dispersal....... Which is what is was designed for iirc. Not as a lubricant.

While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product's formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

Top Bottom