Is WD40 better than dry lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
So instead of using chain degreaser to clean the chain, can I use WD40 to clean it then lube it with normal chain oil?

So instead of using chain degreaser to clean the chain, can I use WD40 to clean it then lube it with normal chain oil?

Yes, that would be the approach just that degreaser are cheaper, stronger and faster to cleaning long built up gunk. You however can use WD 40 for regular cleaning and then apply appropriate lubricant.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I never use it under my armpits though
1662281360552.png

Gwylan

Veteran
Will Pah twaddle be any good for washing other things or is it just for bikes?

What's all this chain cleaning malarky, next you'll be suggesting you wash your bikes, Pah twaddle

gbb

Legendary Member
I run all my bike and trike on WD40 have done for years, I get 6500 + miles out of each chain more on my trike.
The only draw back you need to spray on on every 4 - 5 days.

No disrespect to your experience intended, genuinely..
While I was cycling / commuting regularly (100 -120 miles a week) I tried many lubes, regimes, always monitoring each chain life achieved, WD40 included.
Pros...supremely clean chain. Very smooth and quiet transmission when just 9applied. It was relatively cheap then.
Cons..my chain didn't last as long as it would using oil (I'd usually get 1200 to 1600 miles per chain, 9 or 10 speed) with WD I got less than 1000
Constant re application was necessary. It would seem very expensive to do now compared to oil.

I stopped, mainly because I thought it environmentally bad, aerosols propellants aren't good in general, I was using a can maybe every two weeks to keep the chain lubed satisfactorily.

Its strange how to people get such widely different results which just goes to show...if you want to try something, do and make your mind up on your results because there may be quite different circumstances that influence the outcome.

Jameshow

Veteran
While I was cycling / commuting regularly (100 -120 miles a week) I tried many lubes, regimes, always monitoring each chain life achieved, WD40 included.
Pros...supremely clean chain. Very smooth and quiet transmission when just 9applied. It was relatively cheap then.
Cons..my chain didn't last as long as it would using oil (I'd usually get 1200 to 1600 miles per chain, 9 or 10 speed) with WD I got less than 1000
Constant re application was necessary. It would seem very expensive to do now compared to oil.

I stopped, mainly because I thought it environmentally bad, aerosols propellants aren't good in general, I was using a can maybe every two weeks to keep the chain lubed satisfactorily.

Its strange how to people get such widely different results which just goes to show...if you want to try something, do and make your mind up on your results because there may be quite different circumstances that influence the outcome.

What oil did you use?

Slick

Guru
Confirmation bias is a real thing. :okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
Confirmation bias is a real thing. :okay:

Not sure what you're inferring but..
Bias...personally no. I went into it logically with an open mind. (Plus it was free tbh)
I'd gone through various lubes over maybe 6 chains, engine oil, chainsaw oil, wet lubes, but tbf never expensive lubes (I'm tight) monitoring every chain's mileage achieved.
Numbnuts experience was quite different, I respect that, I dont know if his chains are better his application is better, if he was cycling in all weather's, there are so many variables its almost impossible to compare outcomes. Nevertheless, mine was quite different.

Top Bottom