Is WD40 better than dry lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Not sure what you're inferring but..
Bias...personally no. I went into it logically with an open mind. (Plus it was free tbh)
I'd gone through various lubes over maybe 6 chains, engine oil, chainsaw oil, wet lubes, but tbf never expensive lubes (I'm tight) monitoring every chain's mileage achieved.
Numbnuts experience was quite different, I respect that, I dont know if his chains are better his application is better, if he was cycling in all weather's, there are so many variables its almost impossible to compare outcomes. Nevertheless, mine was quite different.

I wasn't inferring anything, I was stating a fact.

Let's not get our knickers in a twist over WD40. :wacko:

gbb

Legendary Member
I wasn't inferring anything, I was stating a fact.

Let's not get our knickers in a twist over WD40. :wacko:

I respect your opinion...but its just that, an opinion. (No thumbs up emoticon to be had on my device but have an imaginary one)

gbb

Legendary Member
As part of the wider discussion, I am and always was of the opinion, if you want to really know something, anything , do your own homework, try it, what's the worst that can happen ? In my case, a moderately shorter chain life than normal.
Unless you do that, anything anyone says is pretty irrelevant. Two people, same product, different outcomes so as I say, try it, see how it works for you ?

simongt

Guru
WD40 is a really good cleaner - great for getting tar spots off the car door !
Some years back, the makers of WD40 published a list of 'the things that you didn't know that you can use WD40 for'. It was pretty revealing - ! :okay:
Getting built up limescale off bathroom taps was one that I can recall. ^_^

numbnuts

Legendary Member
OK I don't cycle in the rain more so if I'm on my trike.
When on the bike I sit and spin so I do not force the gears making the chain stretch
As for the chain yes 6500 miles easy on a chain, as for chain wheels, my touring bike has covered over 38,000 miles and still using the same ones as from new.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The answer to all these questions is generally that doing something to keep your chain in good order is a huge amount better than nothing. Different kinds of something may differ somewhat, but the differences between the somethings is as nothing compared to the difference between doing something and doing nothing.

Top Bottom