is WD40 OK to use as a lubricant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Hey,

I know a lot of people use a lot of different oils and the like to keep their bike running smoothly, but I don't know anybody who uses WD40. Is it a bad idea or not? I'm not one of these people who likes a clean looking chain, as you can get stuff to clean the gunk off, but I don't know if i'm harming my cogs/chain by using it.

Cheers.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
WD40 does give some lubrication, but not much and on a long ride it will have dried out before you get home. Proper oil is much better, and cheaper too as it lasts longer.

Howard

Hey,

I know a lot of people use a lot of different oils and the like to keep their bike running smoothly, but I don't know anybody who uses WD40. Is it a bad idea or not? I'm not one of these people who likes a clean looking chain, as you can get stuff to clean the gunk off, but I don't know if i'm harming my cogs/chain by using it.

Cheers.

Why would you lubricate the cassette? The only place you want lube is within the chain rollers, and it's pretty hard to get anything in there yourself.

Spraying WD40 on it will just mean more dirt sticking to it.

Danny

Legendary Member
Mickle may be along shortly to explain why the use of WD40 is a capital offence.

gbb

Legendary Member
A few years ago i tried it because i wanted to see for myself (there's a lot of opinions on lots of things here, but few people have actually tried it i suspect)...the simple answer is...dont.

You'll have the cleanest useless chain in no time. I used it liberally (twice or three times a week perhaps) on a 9 speed setup. I was shocked how much the chain stretched in such a (relatively) short time. The lubricant within just isnt up to transmission stresses.

Its nice to know or prove something for yourself. It simply doesnt work. (in my case)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
WD40 is ok for things like derailleur pivots, door hinges &c (although GT85 smells nicer & apparently leaves a teflon coating).

Oil is good for things like chains where it needs to stay in place under stress - I like Finish Line's Pro Road Ceramic chain oil, and use Weldtite's chain oil for lubing cables.

Grease is good for bolt threads, packing around bearings &c.

More detail at Bicycle Tutor

battered

Guru
WD is about 80% naptha (light petrol) and 20% light oil, with a bit of propellant. In use the naphtha evaporates to leave the oil in a thin film. Its main advantage i it's easy to apply and it does lubricate, but as others have said not that well. You are better off with light oil and a rag to wipe off the excess and black gunge.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I use WD 40 all the time and my chain does not dry out

adscrim

Veteran
You're better off with a dedicated chain lube. They are a little over priced, but used carefully they can last ages. I have a bottle of finish line ceramic chain lube that's lasted me almost two years - used twice a month, dabbed onto links and work around with fingers, excess then removed with cloth.

PpPete

Legendary Member
WD40 is mostly solvent.... that is to say that it is good at dissolving away lubricants you might have had on there in the first place.

Years ago, I used to remove my motorcycle chain, clean it with a degreaser, and then put it in a shallow tin of grease. The whole thing was then heated on the stove until the grease melted and got into all the rollers. I used to lift out the chain with a bit of wire and hang it up over the tin to drain. The tin of grease lasted for ages, and so did the chain.

I occasionally clean my bike chains and then soak then overnight in a heavy oil. A quick wipe down with a rag, and the job's done. It seems to work well enough.

gbb

Legendary Member
Years ago, I used to remove my motorcycle chain, clean it with a degreaser, and then put it in a shallow tin of grease. The whole thing was then heated on the stove until the grease melted and got into all the rollers. I used to lift out the chain with a bit of wire and hang it up over the tin to drain. The tin of grease lasted for ages, and so did the chain.

I occasionally clean my bike chains and then soak then overnight in a heavy oil. A quick wipe down with a rag, and the job's done. It seems to work well enough.

I do the same with cheap engine oil.
Yes the chain gets dirty and you have to wipe it clean every few days, but thats not a bad thing to do anyway, whatever lube you use.
A gallon tub, top cut off, soak the chain in engine oil, lift out and hang on a nail above the tub so the excess can drip back in. Quick and effortless.

Top Bottom