is WD40 OK to use as a lubricant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I use WD40 only for cleaning the brakes, liberal spray on, and then complete wipe down,
chains need oil simplesz !

You spray lubricant liberally around your brakes?

I go out of my way to make sure its not getting near my brakes.

Willo

Only place i use WD40 on my bike is on the SPD pedals occassionally to help clicking in and out nice and smoothly

dodgy

Actually, I've heard of a few people who use WD40 for cleaning their brakes and braking surfaces, I was stunned the first time I heard it. But they claim it works, not tried it myself and don't intend to as I already have a simple technique for cleaning such parts.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Ok, so I gather it's bad idea then :biggrin:

Any recommendations as to what is a good lube to use? I went on Evans Cycles and poked around but wasn't too sure. I assume degreaser is pretty compulsory as well?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ok, so I gather it's bad idea then :biggrin:

Any recommendations as to what is a good lube to use? I went on Evans Cycles and poked around but wasn't too sure. I assume degreaser is pretty compulsory as well?

Rarely if ever use/need degreaser unless comlpetely stripping bike or bike-parts to re-build. Not on chains, never.

White spirit, petrol, diesel and WD40 are all commonly available degreasers, no need for anything else.

Lube, anything from 3 in 1 oil to motor-oil, and proper bike lube will work fine. If you do a search you'll find the faves. As mentioned I use Finish-line green (Cross country) as it tends to stay on the chain better in all weathers. Use Mickle method with wipes to keep clean. Wipes also work on Chainsets and cassettes.

Special greases are available for wheel bearings, bolts etc, but Vaseline works perfectly well and most houses have some. For 30 years all our bikes have run with Vaseline with no problems.

Rim tape... Electricians insulating tape works perfectly well, same 30 year experience.

Fairy Liquid is fine for cleaning bikes, the 'salt issue' is in my mind bollocks. You're gonna rinse anyway.
Old toothbrushes, cheap paintbrushes and used dish sponges are great for bike washing.

Again, use the search function and many of these things have been debated before!

Cheers
FF.

Norm

I assume degreaser is pretty compulsory as well?
It is certainly not compulsory.

For example, degrease does not appear in the "wipe lube wipe lube wipe" mantra.

I use degreaser on occasions. If anyone else does, remember that you use the degreaser to remove the cack, you use soap to remove the degreaser, you use water to remove the soap and then you need to replace all the oil that you removed with the application of degreaser, and that the only place you want oil is where the moving parts touch, so it needs to be inside the chain, so you need to apply a dab of oil to each and every roller from the inside of the chain. Putting oil on the side plates is all-but useless, as it's only purpose there is to reduce corrosion.

Using degreaser is not a quick cleaning method.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It is certainly not compulsory.

Using degreaser is not a quick cleaning method.

Spot on. Never used it. No need to use it. A little bit of elbow grease is all that is needed.

potsy

Rambler
Just given mine a once over ready for Mondays commute,20 minutes to wipe over,oil chain,check brake pads etc.
No de-greaser in sight,just a couple of rags,baby wipes,and light oil.
I do use a bit of WD40 look-a-likey stuff though to help with cleaning,spray on cassette etc.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I wipe/lube every week when i give the bike a quick wash then maybe once a month when i do a real deep clean i use a newly acquired thing that has a chain cleaner with a degreaser trap in it then re-lube.

Davidc

Guru
I've not used a degreaser on a chain yet. Why would I want to, the oil inside it is needed as a lubricant and what's left after wiping the outside and rollers helps stop it corroding.

WD40 is great for cleaning the tar and road grot from the frame - the stuff that won't come off with car shampoo (which I prefer to fairy liquid - doesn't dry my hands out as badly and the wash and wax version leaves the frame shining)

Like Kevin above I also clean my braking rims with WD 40, but generally only need to in winter. I don't know the answer to Summerdays issue with the lubricant in WD 40 but the stuff certainly leaves the rims clear of grime and grease and the brakes working well!

Broadly I think Fab Foodie is about right. I use slightly different substances but following his practices you won't go far wrong.

Top Bottom