Is your LBS L?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

I must say I'm not much of a fan of the 'old style' shop, the sort that is characterized by very dusty windows, letting arranged in an arc, and an eclectic mix of very random bikes, some second hand, hanging up from the roof, and only a very small amount of space to walk around. Typically, when you go in a bell on the door rings and you find yourself in a very narrow walkway between the hanging-up bikes so have no choice but to study them, when you find your way to the counter (which is the only place TO go) a portly bloke with a combover and wearing a dark blue apron and glasses on the end of his nose comes out of the back, smiles and asks what he can do for you. It's at this point that it dawns on you that (a) he is clearly not only the proprietor but also the only employee of the shop, and (:evil: he probably won't have even heard of the part you are after, let alone be able to supply you with it. If you're lucky, he'll think for a minute while deciding to pretend to have heard of it, then just go "ah, no - sorry - I haven't got any in at the moment" and bumble off back into the back. If you're unlucky, he'll have beef with the fact that you want it in the first place, and launch into a lecture about how you don't need all this 'modern technology' and how 'bikes never used to need them'.
There's quite a few of these type of shops round me, I don't tend to go in them much as they're neither use nor ornament - although I've no beef with them, but the fact is they tend to be run more as a hobby for a retired person rather than as a business.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
One shop nearish to me used to have a small shop in Devizes that didn't actually seem to have any bikes other than some second hand tat in a rack outside. They've now moved to bigger premises in a neighbouring town and have some new bikes inside. They're international according to their website!

Chris James

Über Member
bonj said:
I must say I'm not much of a fan of the 'old style' shop, the sort that is characterized by very dusty windows, letting arranged in an arc, and an eclectic mix of very random bikes, some second hand, hanging up from the roof, and only a very small amount of space to walk around. Typically, when you go in a bell on the door rings and you find yourself in a very narrow walkway between the hanging-up bikes so have no choice but to study them, when you find your way to the counter (which is the only place TO go).

That sounds exactly like my LBS. But the rest of it doesn't ring true for me, except possibly the bit about running the place as a hobby.

My LBS are pretty knowledgeable about equipment and servicing. Where they fall down is stock. They can always dig out a catalogue to show me something they can order in but the don't always have it in for me to handle - in that regard I am sometimes no better off than looking on the internet.

But lets be honest, there doesn't appear to be much money in running a bike shop so how could they afford to have vast stocks? I have popped into Evans before now, and they have more stock, but not the sort of stuff I am after! I also have an even more local bike shop that is better equiped and very enthusiastic but almost exclusively sells MTB gear whereas I am after budget road type stuff mostly.

So basically, nowhere is perfect but at least my LBS are helpful and attuned to the sort of cycling I do.

Chris James

Über Member
simonali said:
One shop nearish to me used to have a small shop in Devizes that didn't actually seem to have any bikes other than some second hand tat in a rack outside. They've now moved to bigger premises in a neighbouring town and have some new bikes inside. They're international according to their website!

Looking at their pictures, my LBS has about half the floor space of Peddlers (and over two floors!) with about twice the amount of stock.

jashburnham

My "LBS" is 6 miles away. There are others nearer but they are staffed by useless muppets and are really only set up to help commuters on their hybrid/mtb's, I wouldn't let them within 500 yards of my pride and joy! It's a bit of a pain as a service now requires at least 2 train journeys but at least they know what they're doing! On the plus side it's forced me to learn a lot of the basic mechanics.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have 4 LBS's within a few miles of home and they are all very good. Shorter Rochfords is quite a large shop and has a large range of bikes and a good supply of spares. They also have a shop in Potters Bar The cyclestore in Frien Barnet took over from an old fashioned shop called oscrofts which imho was the best LBS in London. The new shop is run by a mechanic who worked in Shorters and his mechanic used to work for Ossies. Still with me. There is another LBS in Mill Hill run along the same lines as Ossies as well. I buy most of my stuff from the Cyclestore as he always gives me a discount which matches the prices from wiggle. If he has to order bits in he normally gets them in a day or two. I am probably lucky to have these shops fairly near to my home.

Like most people here, I'll use the internet for stuff like transmission, tubes and tyres etc, but I still use the LBS a fair bit - enough to usually get 10% off if I spend more than about £15 a time ie usually. They'll also aim to match internet prices for bigger things - bought Mrs G an HID light and they price matched that. Also about to order 2 bikes and accessories, and I know I'll get a decent deal on that. We bought our last roadbikes from Bikelab in Poole and tend to take them there for any work needed, likewise my MTB which also came from there. But as others have said, worth supporting if you can, and certainly worth having a good relationship with.

gbb

Legendary Member
3 LBS locally...well the ones worthy of note anyway.

Best is 1 mile away, small and family run ( i assume ).
Yes, floorspace is limited, the workshop looks like a room out back, but the staff are very informal ,friendly and very helpful. They stock Bianchi and Felt bikes particually with a mix of a few others.
Clothing, an ok range for a small shop, but not cheap.
Spares, good range of accessories etc, and sometimes cheaper than ebay fer chrissakes. I needed a quill stem for my rebuild...it was cheaper from the LBS than i could get it from ebay.
Ive had three bikes from them, and have every intention of going back.

Best looking LBS is 8 miles away, nicely laid out showroom, seemingly knowledgeable staff, not cheap, not dear.
BUT, it seems just like a supermarket...just doesnt do it for me.

Another is just 3 or 4 miles from me...cheaper bikes mostly with a stock of GT as well...good spares backup, but flaming expensive for spares and accessories. More the shop for people wanting cheap bikes or kids bikes.

I don't use my LBS because the bloke who runs it is the most unhelpful soul I've ever dealt with. If I need bike stuff I go to Fred Williams in Wolverhampton, which is my ex - LBS from when I lived there. I use the internet for buying almost everything else, but bike bits I tend to get from there because they're so helpful and I don't think they've ever charged me the full price.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
That's a long way!

Mind you, saying that, I used to go to a couple of shops in Poole and Bournemouth when I had my posh road bike and that must be a 120 mile round trip!

Simonali - Bikelab and Primera I presume?
I went into Primera last week, during the week and was pounced on before the door had closed behind me - the lad was keen! I was able to look at the bike I want to get, but it'll come from the LBS.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
That's them. There's another one in between those 2, but it's a nightmare to park near where it is. I can't remember the name, but it's virtually next door to Prendas and veers toward the MTB end of the market, even though they do have road bikes in there.

Bikelab is really cool and although they will sell you a £500 bike most of the stuff in there is at least 10 times that price. There used to be a guy called Stu worked there who had a 6 kilo road bike. Wasn't a lot of parts on it not made of carbon. If you look on their website and click on customlab, you can see some of the exotica that people get built there.

Top Bottom