Isla Bike Gears problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vmix350

Hi all

My son had an Isla bike beinn 24 for Xmas. Third time of use gears started making a noise. Bike unmarked and always stood on stand. I contacted Islabikes and after looking at photos they said rear gear hanger was bent.
Initially implying I had damaged it and I would need to pay for repairs. After I sent photos to show not a mark any where on the bike which has barely been riden and definitely not involved in any impact they agreed to send part and pay for repair stating it may have been damaged in transit and only come to light when in use.
The part hasnt arrived yet and I am thinking of requesting they just replace the bike? Anyone any views ?
I am annoyed at their attitude that they implied it was my fault and now they are effectively admitting it may have been damaged in transit why should I now have to go through all the hassle of getting the part replaced and then claiming the money back ? Apart from the fact my sons new bike has then effectively been in for repair after about 1 hours use through no fault of ours? Just wondered if anyone had had similar issues or ran a bike shop and could maybe give me their view on how I should proceed.
Many thanks Dave

OP
OP
V

Vmix350

Thanks For quick reply do you mean wait for part?

jay clock

Massive member
[QUOTE 5104670, member: 45"]I think you're entitled to reject the bike in a short space of time from purchase.

I'd just wait though. I always had fantastic service from Islabikes. One bike we had had the front mudguard mount brazed in the wrong place. Isla drove to our house one evening and replaced the forks herself.[/QUOTE]
impressive

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Welcome to the forum Vmix :hello:

Sorry you are not satisfied with your son's new bike but in all honesty this is a minor repair and certainly not worth rejecting the bike for. Islabikes are offering to repair the bike even though it might not be their fault so you have the best possible outcome.

The gear hanger is a sacrificial part that can be easily bent if caught wrong. The idea is that it bends or snaps to prevent damage to the frame, which if it were an irreplaceable part could reduce an otherwise perfect bike to scrap! The fact you say it started to misbehave after a couple of uses indicates that it was possibly bent in use rather than during transit, but this is now irrelevant as Islabikes have agreed to the repair. In my opinion the repair is a better solution than an exchange bike as the part will be replaced and the gears set up correctly before the bike is then handed to you in perfect working order. There is no guarantee that a replacement bike won't arrive with the gears slightly out of adjustment, putting you back to square one.

Just be patient and wait for the repair to be completed. If the repairer is agreeable then it might be worth you and your son watching the repair process so you have a better understanding of what has happened and how the gears work.

Top Bottom