Isla Bike or Specialized?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
It's my lads 7th birthday in June, and he wants a proper bike - mainly so he can ride on his own at Sherwood Pines and the trails around LadyBower rather than being on the trailer bike.

I'm torn between the Specialized Hotrock, and the Isla Bikes Beinn 20. The front sus on the Spec is putting me off a bit, but the advantage is that I think he prefers the looks, and will be able to sit on one prior to purchase.

Any thoughts?

Amack

My daughter has the 2013 hotrock 20 and it's a well built bike. We had narrowed down to the islabike and the specialized but went for the cheaper option. The islabike is really light but I found the hotrock was just as a good a fit tbh. She also preferred the look, if only they did a version without the front sus it would be nearly as light as the islabike. I can safely say the specialized is a really well made bike, nice stitching on the seat cover and well fitted components, comes with good off road tyres and a nice stand btw(unlike the islabike)

Top_Saracen

It's my lads 7th birthday in June, and he wants a proper bike - mainly so he can ride on his own at Sherwood Pines and the trails around LadyBower rather than being on the trailer bike.

I'm torn between the Specialized Hotrock, and the Isla Bikes Beinn 20. The front sus on the Spec is putting me off a bit, but the advantage is that I think he prefers the looks, and will be able to sit on one prior to purchase.

Any thoughts?
Hi Kestevan,
My brother has bought his two youngest children - 8yr old boy and 6yr old girl - an Isla bike each and I would say that the build quality is, and components are, the best I have EVER seen on ANY bike for children. They LOVE riding them, but I do think they are VERY expensive for what won't last them very long as they will soon outgrow them. Hopefully though they will still be worth quite a bit when they have outgrown them.
As for Specialized bikes I still ride my 1993 Rockhopper - rigid frame and forks - which is almost as good as when I bought it new (I have NEVER left it outside, or even in a shed - it stays indoors where it is safer, warmer and drier), except for the Shi(t)mano Altus A10/20 rapid fire plus gear levers (integrated with the brake levers) which broke after only 700 miles. I have been using Shimano Deore NON integrated V brakes and levers and MUCH better Shimano NON integrated indexed gear levers since which are still in use after nearly 18yrs.

In response to ianrauk
you are right, whoever the child is, they will have to like whichever bike they have a choice of, or they won't ride it. But even so I think that the rigid frame and forks on the Isla bike is the better option if the parent can afford it, because the Isla bike is so much lighter, and will be easier to ride because of it.
I also don't think that the Specialized will hold its value as well or withstand the hard use it is likely to get from any child who uses it. Just my opinion.

Isla but also check out Frog bikes as reviewed in one of this months cycle mags. Similar in concept to the Isla but cheaper and slightly heavier.

VamP

Banned
You can test ride Islabikes at their factory, and they will help you choose size and model.. They are historically the best children's bikes and as such have an amazing residual value, and very easy to sell on. They are also much lighter than the rest. altough the Frog bikes mentioned above I think are getting to similar weights.

I'd be tempted to not give your child options ;)

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
A bright red Isla Bike Beinn 20 has been duly ordered.

That just leaves the wife and daughter ahead of me in the queue for N+1
(although to be fair it's only 6 months since my last new bike). :smile:

FrogBikes

Might just be worth mentioning that Frog bikes are sold through almost 50 independent bike stores around UK now, so if you want the comfort of trying before you buy (especially as we're a new brand), you should be able see the range in a store near you!

Globalti

Legendary Member
You won't regret buying the Islabike, they ride superbly and are great for getting kids hooked on the joy of riding a bike.

Might just be worth mentioning that Frog bikes are sold through almost 50 independent bike stores around UK now, so if you want the comfort of trying before you buy (especially as we're a new brand), you should be able see the range in a store near you!

I'm in the market for a kids bike for our Daughter, but having just checked out the STOCKIST page of your website it appears you are not represented anywhere in or around Manchester and Lancashire.

Do you have any plans to include stockists in these areas?

FrogBikes

I'm in the market for a kids bike for our Daughter, but having just checked out the STOCKIST page of your website it appears you are not represented anywhere in or around Manchester and Lancashire.

Do you have any plans to include stockists in these areas?

Yes we do have plans to sell Frog in this area. We've just appointed a rep for the north west, and we're talking to Bike Doctor and to Harry Hall in central Manchester currently.
Is there a store near you that you'd recommend we talk to?
Many thanks.

FrogBikes

[QUOTE 2473284, member: 45"]Do you buy stock frames from a catalogue or spec your own?[/quote]
Our frames are our own design, and we source branded componentry e.g. Tektro brakes and Shimano gears.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
We bought a Beinn 20 for our littlest(7) when she finally got over her fear of riding...six weeks later she rode a 13 mile SkyRide over some pretty big hills with no moaning and keeping a pretty good pace with the adults. Much love for her and the bike from the entire group!!! Excellent bike!!

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Gave him the bike today....... took him all of 5 minutes to be off riding round the field like he'd been on a bike all his life ^_^
Perfect size, and the build quality and component sizing is first rate...... oh and having his name on the top tube was the icing on the cake.

Top Bottom