Isle of Man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darth vadar

Über Member
Just wondered if anybody had cycled on the Isle of Man (in a social capacity of course!) ?

I am quite keen on taking my (hybrid) bike over there maybe for a weekend to take in the views and experience a few of the local brews.

It seems you can travel as a foot passenger on the Sea Cat and your bike travels for 'free' which seems like a reasonably good deal.

Any thoughts or ideas regarding routes, stop over places would be welcome.

As a newbie, I am not looking for anything too severe!!!

Thank you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I went on two Cycling Weekly International Cycling Weeks in the 90's - fab time.

You must ride the TT course - that was the 'Mountain Time Trial' - great circuit - it's about 37 miles round. The Island is fairly lumpy even sticking to the coast. Laxey is well worth a visit.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I cycled there a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed every (rather damp) minute. As has been said, the island is hilly in the main with some stonking sharp hills near the coasts in particular. The north of the island is considerably flatter around Jurby but still with some gentle rolling countryside and a very pleasant ride can be had from Ramsey to the lighthouse on the northern tip.

The TT course is worth riding if just for the lovely downhill sections and views from the top of the mountain. Just be aware than the traffic also treats it as a racetrack!

You can take your bike on the narrow gauge railway from Douglas to Port Erin. You don't need to book but you pay a nominal sum for the bike and take a chance that there is room available on the train.

All the "major" towns are worth visiting as they each have individual characters. Douglas is by far the busiest, but I found that generally bikes are treated with respect. Outside of Douglas, there is relatively little crime and you can chain up your bike with peace of mind.

Finally, there are published on the web details of six day rides which are worth a look at. Go for it and enjoy.

tmcd35

Now I've pretty much cancelled my JOGLE/tour-de-britian this year for financial/work reasons (and if I'm honest I know I'm not ready for it - will do next year (100%)), I've been looking for something to do in it's place.

Might just look up Isle of Man ferry costs and campsites when I get home. Could be a good cheap week away with some quality TT cycling.

Thanx darth vadar (not a sentance I ever thought I'd use) for an ace idea :smile:

irw

Quadricyclist
tmcd35 said:
Now I've pretty much cancelled my JOGLE/tour-de-britian this year for financial/work reasons (and if I'm honest I know I'm not ready for it - will do next year (100%)), I've been looking for something to do in it's place.

Might just look up Isle of Man ferry costs and campsites when I get home. Could be a good cheap week away with some quality TT cycling.

Thanx darth vadar (not a sentance I ever thought I'd use) for an ace idea :becool:

Check out Laxey Campsite- My fiancee and I stayed there when we went cycling on the Isle of Man a few years ago, from what I recall it was very good rates, and good facilities!

Top Bottom