Isle of Wight - day trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, just wondered if anyone has done a day trip over to the Isle of Wight? Was thinking about popping over and doing a loop of the island.

I was looking at train from London to Southampton 7.39am - 9.12am
ferry 10.00am - 11.00am
cycle
ferry 19.30 - 20.30
train home 21.00 - 22.22

I did a bit of googling and apparently even though the ferry takes longer from S.Hampton, is it easier with the trains from London (waterloo / victoria)

Transport would be about £60. A lot for a day trip, but cheaper than staying over night and still having to add transport. Are the times a bit tight? not sure how far the ferries are from station, apparently not too far. Thanks

bridgy

Legendary Member
Hi there, just wondered if anyone has done a day trip over to the Isle of Wight? Was thinking about popping over and doing a loop of the island.

ferry 10.00am - 11.00am
cycle
ferry 19.30 - 20.30
train home 21.00 - 22.22

I did a bit of googling and apparently even though the ferry takes longer from S.Hampton, is it easier with the trains from London (waterloo / victoria)

Transport would be about £60. A lot for a day trip, but cheaper than staying over night and still having to add transport. Are the times a bit tight? not sure how far the ferries are from station, apparently not too far. Thanks
A group of us did an IOW day trip last September on the Lymington to Yarmouth crossing - https://www.strava.com/activities/1198293354. The ride round the island itself took 5 hours 45, including a lunch stop and a few other stops to look at views and eat ice creams! So as long as you're not super slow, your plan should give you plenty of time. I've not done the journey by train via Southampton but I'm sure it won't be far from the station to the ferry terminal. I have done Portsmouth on a train with the bike, and then the Portsmouth Catamaran to Ryde Pier - this is super easy with a bike, as the Portsmouth station is literally right next to the Catamaran - and that crossing is also really quick.

There's permanent signage up around the island to follow in either direction if you want to do the full circular route that the annual IOW Randonnee event takes.

It's a good day out - hope you enjoy it!

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
thanks very much. I will prob, like you, take my time and enjoy the scenery, various foods, etc :smile: I think the Randonnee was the other week, it is good to know that the signs are still up. I looked on line and found official IOW GPX routes which include non gravel ones too. I see from your Strava it is a bit lumpy, but nothing too serious then?

oo so london to portsmouth takes a bit longer, but looking at prices, i could save a bit. Ferry looks a bit longer. I guess it works out roughly the same in the end. So if i did the portsmouth like your good self, the train to the ferry is quick, and you just need to check in no longer than 15mins before? Sounds good

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
thanks very much. I will prob, like you, take my time and enjoy the scenery, various foods, etc :smile: I think the Randonnee was the other week, it is good to know that the signs are still up. I looked on line and found official IOW GPX routes which include non gravel ones too. I see from your Strava it is a bit lumpy, but nothing too serious then?

oo so london to portsmouth takes a bit longer, but looking at prices, i could save a bit. Ferry looks a bit longer. I guess it works out roughly the same in the end. So if i did the portsmouth like your good self, the train to the ferry is quick, and you just need to check in no longer than 15mins before? Sounds good

The ferry is RIGHT NEXT TO / IN THE STATION - I don't think you even need to leave it.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Portsmouth_Harbour_railway_station_Isle_of_Wight_ferry_signs_2.jpg

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
certainly easy! example

Train
waterloo to portsmouth harbor
08.09 - 10.18 (no changes)

ferry
10.40 - 11.02 (22mins)

cycle

ferry

train
portsmouth harbor to waterloo
19.59 - 22.34 (no changes)

cost, ferry £19.80. Train £38.30

it is cutting it fine for being on the island. It is the no changes for the train. Next earliest train is 06.42 - 09.18 (2hrs 36mins!) ferry at 09.40. so i get an hour longer on the island. Maybe the southampton train is better for me

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
just wondering if there are lockers or a luggage depo at the station, so that I could drop off a bag with some warm clothes in, because of early start / late finish

just wondering if there are lockers or a luggage depo at the station, so that I could drop off a bag with some warm clothes in, because of early start / late finish
No, not at the times you’ll be around. There’s nothing at the station, and the only ‘left luggage’ place is going to be closed by the time you get back.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

ferry 10.00am - 11.00am
cycle
ferry 19.30 - 20.30
train home 21.00 - 22.22

Do it on weekend, get an annual network card for £30, save 30%. Only valid before 10 on a weekend. Can get a joint train/catamaran ticket, maybe ferry too

Top Bottom